hi i just got new macbook pro:D

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by amir tava, Apr 10, 2011.

1. amir tava macrumors newbie

hello guys i just got a new macbook pro :D i got one little problem when i download something from internet like a movie or anime i cant put it on external hard drive. when i drag the item to my hard drive it dosnt put it there it shows an X to the icon
    would be help full if some one can some one help me with this problem thanks a lot oh and sorry for my bad english. english is my second language.:)

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Do you know how your external drive is formatted?
    If it is formatted for Windows (NTFS), your Mac doesn't natively write to that drive

You can use something like NTFS-3G to allow you to write to a Windows drive
    Or your can reformat the drive (but you will lose everything on it)

Sooooooo
    The question is... how is the drive formatted?

Check out the various file systems here: MR Guide: File Systems

3. amir tava thread starter macrumors newbie

it is formated for windows NTFS for windows only but i dont woona reformat it becuase i got like 100 gb of movies 100 gb of music 50 gb of anime and more lol i there any way to do something it can support mac ox too?

4. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

This seems to offer hope...and I've read it made by a google employee, so it seems like its legit software.

If I read the blog right there is a made software and free one. The paid one says it "higher performance, but I'd try the free one first.

http://www.tuxera.com/community/ntfs-3g-download/
    (That links to the free one, the paid one is under the tab "buy"->"Online Shop: NTFS for Mac"

Hope the programs works out for you!(I have never used it personally and don't have any Windows drives to try it out on)

You could also put into Windows if you have a bootcamp drive or a windows install sitting around.(or download a Windows ISO, which gives you 30 days to use it without a serial code, so you could buy one or just do what you need to do before 30 days....which could be move those files to your HDD, then reformat it.

And the those Windows ISO downloads are not illegal, MS offered them from a 3rd party resource(digital river). Linked Here
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...links-ultimate-professional-and-home-premium/
    (another source has kept them up since MS no longer uses digital river from the looks of it.)

5. amir tava thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks a lot bro for the info ill try it out