hi i purchased a used macbook.

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by enerdjy, May 30, 2011.

1. enerdjy macrumors newbie

its an amazing machine.
    However, i need to re install OS because of the administrative password.
    I think i have 10.5 in here this is an allwhite macbook 2007.

I learned on youtube how to reinstall os with a disc. However if i have 10.5 OS in this computer, can i reinstall with OS 10.6.3 ??
    because thats the cd i do have.

2. iLucas macrumors 6502

This
    might help you out.

3. enerdjy thread starter macrumors newbie

yeah I tried that right now and i the OS software cd i have (10.6 snow leaopard) doesnt work on my macbook 07. so...... is there anything i can do without having the correct cd? Maybe something that doesnt require cd at all ?
    thanks mate

4. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

Is your DVD white or grey? You can reinstall from a white one, but a grey one is not compatible with your system.

5. enerdjy thread starter macrumors newbie

it'll be the grey one mate.
    what to do from ere on ?

6. blevins321 macrumors 68030

You can buy Snow Leopard for $30 from Apple, Amazon, or any other retail place. Here is the Amazon link :).

7. msjones macrumors 6502

msjones

You can "hack" the password by booting into single user mode. Check this link and see method 2.

8. enerdjy thread starter macrumors newbie

snow leapord isn't compatible with mymacbook07

9. enerdjy thread starter macrumors newbie

and that says that it doesn't stop keychain and thats the main problem im getting with this mac... i want to delete or install some things when keychain pops up and asks for a password

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I don't know where you're getting your information. Snow Leopard is compatible with every Intel Mac out there, including yours.

You said you have the grey install disc, right? If it's not the one that came with your MacBook, then that install disc isn't compatible with your Mac as those discs are locked to the model they came with. This is the case, as your Mac didn't come with Snow Leopard preinstalled. You'll need to go out and purchase the $30 Snow Leopard disc from an Apple Store, Best Buy, whatever.

If you've reset your admin password, you can reset your keychain as per these instructions (found on Google by searching "Reset admin password Mac keychain" without quotes): http://support.apple.com/kb/TS1544

11. enerdjy thread starter macrumors newbie

oh i see so every disc is entitled to the mac it was installed in ?
    thats crazy i didnt know it asks for a serial number when you install it.... the serial would come with the disc though right when i buy it ?

12. old-wiz macrumors G3

OSx does not have serial numbers. The grey (restore) disks are model specific; a MacBook grey disk will not install on a MacBook pro. They are not tied to an individual machine but rather to a class of machines. If you were to buy two identical MacBooks, then the grey disk shipped with one would work on either machine.

The $30 Snow Leopard disks are retail disks and install on any machine that meets the hardware requirements.