Hi, I'm a Mac... and I've been off the air for a while

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Toe, Sep 26, 2007.

1. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

What happened to the Mac/PC ads?

Apple has been running the iMac ad occasionally (or are they done with that too?), but for the most part, they've again forgotten to tell people to buy Macs.

The iPhone has had half a year in the sun. Isn't it time for Justin Long to be annoying again?

P.S. His role in Idiocracy was friggin' brilliant, no?

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think people were getting cold of those ads.

3. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

maybe so, but it's been awhile, so i think it would be good to bring them back. they were a big hit

4. vanmacguy macrumors 6502a

I think Apple knows more about advertising than all other companies put together.

Their advertising is hugely successful. I switched because of the Mac vs PC ads.

They have something up their sleeves. I'd look for Leopard vs Vista next personally. Just in time for Christmas.

Can't you see it now:
    Lose a file on Vista? Leopard has Time Machine.
    Can't remember where you put something? Stacks.
    Don't know what that file contains? Quick Look.
    Need more desktop room? Spaces.

Cheers.

5. Toe thread starter macrumors 65816

Toe

I suppose you're right. Apple never rushes into things, so... why tout Macs now when they're shipping with an almost-outdated OS?

Leopard vs Vista commercials are gonna be brutal (to Vista).

I can see it now, with PC desperately looking everywhere for a deleted document... then Mac just reaches back in time (vortex effect and all?) and grabs it. "Looking for this?"

6. thebassoonist macrumors 6502a

thebassoonist

I miss 'em!

I miss the Mac vs PC ads. I think they should make more of them, if only to show on their website. I miss my daily commercial dose of Justin Long. ;)

7. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

I thought Long was surprisingly good as the mild mannered computer geek in Die Hard 4.

8. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i thought he was okay. the movie actually wasn't that bad (but pretty unrealistic at times)

9. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

If I remember rightly, there is a very old Apple Ad they used to run, that had an overhead shot of two workers at computers side by side. One is a regular PC and one is a Mac.

The PC guy starts to do something on his machine, and then the Mac person walks in from off camera, starts her machine, does what she wants to, finishes, turns it off and leaves, while the Windows guy is still answering prompts and so on. All silent and without need for words really.

That's the kind of Vista vs. Leopard ad I would like to see. :D

10. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

They were replaced by the new iMac ads. I do like the idea of ads that actually show what a computer will *do*, but I think that will have to wait until Leopard. I wonder, though, if they'll use the Mac/PC format or a different format.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't know who is doing the ads now but the nano one sucks.

12. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

I think you mean Chiat/Day...

13. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

psycoswimmer

I think it gets the point across. It shows the new colors and design well, it shows that they now play video, and that song gets stuck in my head whenever I hear it!

14. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

I much preferred that rowdy "Cubicle" nano ad that had all the wonderful animation of album covers as cube walls, cityscapes and finally pouring down into a nano with the tagline "1000 Songs in your Pocket" -- meanwhile with all that frenzied noisepop and screaming "Yesssssssssssssssss!" I keep a copy of that one on all my video-capable iPods and play it when I'm bored. If I had still been working in a cube when that thing came out I swear I would have piped it into the PA system at least once. Wake up those guys in the corner offices.

15. BanjoBanker macrumors 6502

BanjoBanker

More Mac vs PC

Like most, I loved those ads!! When I watched "Accepted" with Justin Long as the lead, I kept waiting for PC to come along as one of the nerds. I also like the new Nano ads. And the song by Feist does get into your head for about an hour after the ads run! I can't wait for the Leopard vs Vista ads:):

16. Telp macrumors 68040

Telp

I liked these commericials. Ok, they dont have to bring these back if tey dont want to, but they need to do something, i wanna see more apple ads on TV, even iphone ads i havent seen in a long time.

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

it wasn't too bad at first, but i agree it is kinda old. they seem to play it a lot also

18. LizKat macrumors 68030

LizKat

They probably would be running more ads if everything was oozing off the shelves instead of going out at warp speed. If they outstrip their capacity to fill orders, ads don't help the situation. Today I looked at the new little wireless keyboard again, even that thing's not in stock. Of course now I really want the sucker. The other day I decided to buy a couple Universal docks... and they're not in stock either. So.. things are looking good for Apple as long as the wait time doesn't keep drifting out.

In the meantime if you just miss the ads, download a bunch and sync them to your iPhone!

19. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

They've already done that.

With Tiger nonetheless.:)

20. saxman macrumors 6502

This brings up an interesting point. I don't remember a Mac ad that showed anything but the default screen and dock. I'm sure there have been some, but I can't think of any right now. They mainly talk about the benefits of macs or show off their style. Anyone remember a demonstration of mac software other than the iPhone?

21. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I'm glad I'm not the only one who hates this ad. What an annoying song!

22. pilotError macrumors 68020

pilotError

Your not alone. I think I hate the way the woman who sings the song dances. The song itself is pretty forgettable, especially after all the energetic songs in the previous ads.

To each his own I suppose...

23. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I miss them Peep Show guys :eek: good ads I say, still see the print versions at bus stops every so often but nothing on the TV.

24. 210 macrumors regular

Jl

I agree :(

25. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

that's true. hopefully they'll have a leopard ad though