Hi im new here, i have a question.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by clutchmuffin, Jan 17, 2010.

1. clutchmuffin macrumors newbie

Im fairly new to the whole mac scene. My macbookpro is about 4 or 5 months old; thats if im keeping track of time correctly. About 2 months ago i tried bootcamp for my mac but finding out i couldn't play dawn of war 2 or call of duty 4, in being so i got rid of bootcamp finding that it is pretty pointless to me. After i read into it and did some research online, someone said sometimes people get faulty hard-drives or a technical problem, im not to computer savvy to know if i do.
    So basically my question would be do you guys think my harddrive is faulty? (and a sub question if you care to try and answer :p do you think ill be able to play starcraft 2?)

Here's all my specs from battle.net, also i noticed it has a - for graphics card driver. What does that mean?
    OPERATING SYSTEM:MACOS 10.6.2
    CPU TYPE:INTEL(R) CORE(TM)2 DUO CPU P8700 @ 2.53GHZ
    CPU SPEED (GHZ):2.55
    SYSTEM MEMORY (GB):4
    GRAPHICS CARD MODEL:NVIDIA GEFORCE 9400M
    GRAPHICS CARD DRIVER:-
    DESKTOP RESOLUTION:1280X800
    HARD DISK SIZE (GB):232.566
    HARD DISK FREE SPACE (GB):197.263

Thanks a lot guys, i really appreciate it. Hopefully ill become more active in these forums.

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I've done what you should of done with Google and looked it up. I found some blog posts that say Starcraft 2 should run on the GeForce FX cards (which are low end) up to some ATI Radeon 5700 or something. The 9400M graphics you have compared favorably with the low end graphics predicted to run Starcraft 2.

You should be able to play CoD 4, I thought I saw some images of a MBP 13" and CoD 4 screenshot on the Apple website.

3. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

I know i thought i should be able to play cod4 too, but its very choppy and its unplayable.

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Did you try adjusting the video settings lower?

5. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah i put the settings to the lowest possible. The problem was even in the menu when i started it up, it was soooo slow. It took me about 10 minutes to just change the settings. It was bad

6. jonpwnz macrumors member

jonpwnz

This is the unibody your speaking of? It should be able to run cod 4 if so on more than low settings.

7. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Cinematographer macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

Does it have a precision aluminium unibody enclosure, carved from a single piece of aluminium?

Or do you see any screws at the side?

Looking at the specs I'd say it's unibody.

9. goMac macrumors 603

10. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

I had no installed no graphics card drivers, i dont know how if i am suppose to.
    Also there is not screws on the side of my labtop, its a 13inch higherend. But yes there is screws on the bottom.

11. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

How would you update your drivers, for a mac labtop?

12. melman101 macrumors 68030

It's laptop.

Also, when you install Windows threw bootcamp, you have to put in your original operating system disk once you have booted into Windows. That will install all the drivers you need. And it is definitely necessary.

13. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

oh sorry i dont think i was clear, i uninstalled windows bootcamp because it was not useful to me. On my OSX operating system i still dont know if my drivers are installed or atleast on blizzards website it doesn't come up with anything

14. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Is there a way to install drivers on your mac? or do you need to?
    Also can you turn it on? I dont think my macbook pro comes with the correct graphics card drivers.

15. turfyman macrumors newbie

16. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Man.. lol i dont have bootcamp and i dont want it anymore.. lol

17. PowerGamerX macrumors 6502a

PowerGamerX

No you don't need to manually install drivers.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Mac.

18. coast1ja macrumors 6502

Perhaps your Windows OS in bootcamp was doing something in the background (downloading and installing updates or something). There is no reason why those games shouldn't play on low settings in bootcamp.

Keep in mind that to play games, you will most-likely have to run them in bootcamp.

... and no, your hard drive is not faulty

19. psingh01 macrumors 65816

20. kolax macrumors G3

If there is no lag or odd crashes when in OS X, your hard drive is fine. You should use Time Machine to backup your data daily anyway, so you are covered in the worst case scenario.

For the record, you have a 13" MacBook Pro, which design is often referred to as a Unibody construction.

21. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks guys for the responses. I just thought it was weird how the blizzard application couldn't see my graphics card driver.

22. kolax macrumors G3

You should try Boot Camp again - if you do play games, Windows is the most covered platform.

The 9400M is capable..

23. clutchmuffin thread starter macrumors newbie

I think ill just buy call of duty 4 on mac :)
    It probably runs better on the mac version anyways huh?

24. kolax macrumors G3

It'll run better on Windows.

25. snaky69 macrumors 603

You have a crappy integrated video card(9400m), which is why your graphics sucks and why it's unplayable. You'd need the 15'' with the 9600gt for it to play well, no matter what drivers or updates you use on the windows side of things.