Hi I'm new.. With a new iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by downs523, Dec 29, 2011.

1. downs523 macrumors newbie

Bought my iMac today, standard 21.5 model and have just got it hooked up and running and it's migrating with my windows laptop and it's saying it will take 4.5 hrs!!! So patiently waiting for this to be done to use it ;) question.. Will it also transfer all my apps from iTunes and will I be able to sync my iPhone and iPad afterwards like I used to do on my windows laptop?

2. tyche macrumors 6502

You will need to authorize your iMac iTunes with your account. You have a certain number of activations. Then the iDevice will need to be owned by your new iMac. Then everything should sync up.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. Fuith macrumors member

I think you may have to export the library from iTunes in windows, but I could be wrong. Anything you have downloaded from iTunes will be available when you sign in under your apple ID. Just hit Store>Check for Available Downloads. Anything on your device can be taken off with File>Transfer Purchases from xxx.

5. downs523 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies so far, so I need to authorise my iMac in iTunes. Can I then de authorise iTunes on my laptop? As I won't be using it on there afterwards.

6. downs523 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm having trouble, I read somewhere if I already set up my iMac and then decide to migrate it creates a separate account which is no good, all I want to do really is get my iTunes with all my apps on my iMac so I don't have to buy them again? Any easy way to do this please anyone??? I can transfer music and photos via memory card

7. Akack macrumors 6502a

8. xmnj macrumors member

You should be able to just copy the songs and apps folder for iTunes, under My Documents\My Music\iTunes in Windows, I would copy the entire iTunes folder over. I would copy the folders to your iMacs desktop, then from iTunes, go to File->Add to Library and choose all your songs, then do the same thing selecting all the apps. Be sure to authorize iTunes on the iMac and you should be good to go.

P.S. you can even just go to the iTunes Store on the iMac and select Purchased on the right, and you should see all your apps and songs that you purchased through iTunes, and just hit the download all button.

9. BreakGuy macrumors 6502a

BreakGuy

Yup, feel free to deauthorise your iTunes account from your PC.

----------

Apple have a support document on transferring music. Read it here: Mac OS X 10.7 Help | Transfer music from a Windows computer

10. downs523 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys, currently transferring all of the library folder to the iTunes so far so good fingers crossed!!

----------

IT WORKED nice one! bye bye old laptop iTunes just de authorised it and deleting it now. well got there in the end LOL.