Hi! I'm new =)

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by macncheese =), Mar 29, 2009.

1. macncheese =) macrumors newbie

macncheese =)

Hello all! I'm new to these forums.

I plan on purchasing a MacbookPro 15 in with a time capsule and wireless mighty mouse come this summer (I will be a freshman at college fall 2009. I'm hoping that they have the student discount during that time...any predictions when that would start?

Well, this will be my first mac, and I'm very excited! I'm sick of slow, virus-infected windows and I'm going to be using my computer a lot (major=computer science) in the next 4/5 years..and the rest of my life!! Any tips to help the transition from windows to OS X easier? I'm actually very excited, because I love just playing around with computers and learning new shortcuts, apps, etc. so I figure a switch like this would challenge me!

2. imaketouchtheme macrumors 65816

I would definitely suggest going to a local Apple Store (if possible) or Best Buy and start to play around with the Macs once a week or so until you get used to their particular feel. Also, reading books for new switchers is also a great thing to do. You can probably find eBooks or just blogs and what not to read, or you can check out Border's or a local book store and read up on some material. I'm sure you'll love the switch though!

3. macncheese =) thread starter macrumors newbie

macncheese =)

Thank you for your speedy reply! Yes, come this summer I'm going to start reading some articles online about the transition-I've read some but I know I can learn more! And one of my best friends has a macbook so I play around with his sometimes.

4. macncheese =) thread starter macrumors newbie

macncheese =)

5. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

OK, you're new, but your font is damn annoying, and somewhat pretentious.

6. macncheese =) thread starter macrumors newbie

macncheese =)

Aie aie aie. You mean you don't like Georgia?

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

I actually prefer Verdana, but I don't go out of my way to switch my posts to it, as you do to Georgia.

8. macncheese =) thread starter macrumors newbie

macncheese =)

Ah, I see. Verdana is okay too. Maybe you should take the time to change your posts.

9. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

10. macncheese =) thread starter macrumors newbie

macncheese =)

Needy? Why would you classify one as "needy" because they change the font face?

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

First of all, you're not wearing your badge. You can't be in the MR Forums without wearing your badge. ;)

Second, you're one of the very, very, very, very, very few people I've ever seen in any forum that bothers to change their font for every post. And I think you're the first person ever I've seen here who does it.

You wanna express your independence, that's okay. It's just that it's jarring to be reading the posts one-by-one when wham! the change in font stops you cold for a second. Usually people use alternate fonts only for stuff like signatures.

Nevertheless, welcome to MR and (soon) to the world of Mac computing.

12. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

Apple's educational discount is always in effect for those who qualify, and if you're in the U.S. you qualify as soon as you're enrolled. You may or may not be asked to prove that you're a student, but a copy of your class schedule or validated student ID should be good enough.

Welcome to Mac, welcome to the forum - and please, kindly reconsider using a non-standard font.

13. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Oh c'mon John. Everyone knows Kozuka Gothic Pro is better than any ol' Verdana :rolleyes:

OP: I bought my Mac - actually both our Macs - from the Apple Refurbished store. I had gone to the Mac store (twice) and was told by the salesman to seriously consider buying any Macintosh from the refurb store. He said that Apple spends more time ensuring quality in pre-owned computers than they do in brand-new ones. Any part that even smells like trouble, they replace it with a new part. Basically, it's like getting a new, more thoroughly-tested machine at a much, much discounted price.

And as much as I can appreciate your liking Georgia, No. 1: It's ugly (as serif typefaces go), and No 2: It makes my eyes shimmy when I try to read it.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Macintosh. You won't regret it. :)

ThomasVeil: ...forget the badge. What's today's password? You can't stay if you don't know the daily password.

14. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

At first, I thought that my eyesight was weird, or my computer was messed up.

Then I figured out it was your stupid font-change...no offence.

15. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

No offence, but it's Offense :D. Okay, now I'm just overtired and being way too picky..

16. Keniff macrumors 6502a

Keniff

Aawwww, be nice...

Could have been worse, he could have used Comic Sans ;)

17. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

serif fonts on an internets message board bleeds my eyes.

18. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I thought it didn't look right. Me being in 9th grade and typing grammatically correct most of the time>>>.

19. Melrose macrumors 604

Melrose

Yeah.. actually, as soon as I posted I realized if you were from the UK it would've been fine. My bad.

20. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Omg i am like totally going to like buy a new MACBOOK i cant wait i just need $921.38 more until i can afford it does anyone know how i can make that much money quickly like in a day or two i dont have a job and i dont want to work and mommy and daddy wont give me anything and i dont have anything to sell can someone paypal donations to me my email address is koolkid696969@hotmail.com kthx! :apple::apple::apple::apple::apple:

21. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

^^^^^^^

Now you're just being gratuitously nasty.

But I guess whatever makes you feel good and superior…

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

My post had nothing to do with the OP, it was more of a mix of some of the other posts we've had on here ;)

23. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

If you really want to be different, try something like posting in British English.

24. bartelby macrumors Core

From this or an alternate reality?

EDIT:

To the OP. Don't take any notice of the snarky comments about the font. You didn't use Comic Sans, so you're ok. :)