hi Is Apple Going To Remove The Sound At startup?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Left4DeadBoy, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Left4DeadBoy macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi I love to turn my Mac on so I can get working; allthough I have my Mac more for music than work because of the soundbar it has . I have a Macbook Air; so when I get it into startup mode I like it to be silent is that possible?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Are you asking if you can remove the Apple boot chime sound when you first start up your MacBook Air?

If yes, then:

1) Open Terminal
    2) Type in sudo nvram SystemAudioVolume=%80 and hit Enter
    3) It will then prompt you for your system password. Type this in. Be aware that it won't show your password when you're typing it, so you'll need to enter it blind then hit Enter.

The above instructions will not work if you don't have a password on your Mac. If this is the case, set a temporary password and then you can remove it later.

3. Left4DeadBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi There . You see I dont know how to open terminal because it must be a loose program which I have no association with; in fact it relates to coding which Ive not studied so how do I do it?

4. bcave098 macrumors 6502a

bcave098

Terminal is an application located in /Applications/Utilities and cannot be removed on 10.11 or later.

5. Left4DeadBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi So I put this code into terminal and then when I restarted my Macbook this morning due to a system update it didnt work . Why is that?

6. Fishrrman macrumors G5

Fishrrman

OP:
    Can you get used to doing this?

Just before you shutdown at night, hit the "mute" button (on the function keys).

This sets the volume to "0". The OS should remember this setting.

Now, when you press the power-on button to reboot, it should do so "silently".

Does this work?

7. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Stop rebooting? I never do it except when macOS is updating.

8. bartvk macrumors 6502

bartvk

On my MBA, I've never gotten any of the mentioned methods to work right. Personally I think you're stuck with that chime. It's gone from the 2016 MBP and perhaps it'll also be removed from others.

9. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

There's the answer. Hearing the chime once every few weeks isn't too much of a hassle.

10. Skoal macrumors 65816

I prefer the chime and am glad it's back in the latest beta. At least on my MBP

11. HallStevenson macrumors 6502a

HallStevenson

Do people turn their laptops off ? I just close the lid.... after a while, it effectively shuts down.

12. Left4DeadBoy thread starter macrumors regular

Left4DeadBoy

hi Ill have to press the mute button key . I load Mac lets see early in the mornings and cant do with the sound from it .