Hi level MAC language.

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by Cpat, Sep 25, 2011.

1. Cpat macrumors newbie

I switched to a MAC 4 years ago from PC's where I was programming in VB and databases.

I'm looking for a hi level language for the MAC, mainly as a front end for a Sqlite database, mainly for data entry (text boxes, listboxes, calendar for date entry) and possibly grids for data display.

I've tried realbasic and was unimpressed, purebasic seems to low level.

What about applescript? Any other suggestions?

2. Muncher macrumors 65816

Muncher

Why not a language like Ruby? Full OOP, cross-platform, strong text processing, and functional components. Applescript is a very domain restricted language. Ruby has access to Cocoa (Apple maintains bridge code IIRC) so if you want to do something GUI related as well it's no problem.

Probably not the exciting answer you were looking for but it seems like the path of least resistance.

3. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Python is a great high level language that comes included on Mac OS X.

4. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

5. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

If you're used to Visual Basic, might want to give Real Basic a whirl :

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Realbasic

Real Studio personal is 99$ though there is a free demo for you to try out.

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

He said he'd tried Real Basic and was unimpressed. Have they made some sort of significant change recently that might have change this?

7. Cpat thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll investigate Python. Thanks for all the suggestions.

8. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX

Indeed he did, read his post diagonally.

9. mrbash macrumors 6502

FileMaker

I would have to second FileMaker. You don't have to know any programming, it is visually built.

check out their website: http://www.filemaker.com/

10. ulbador macrumors 68000

ulbador

Kinda sounds like the OP is looking for something like VB. Python, Ruby and others are still FAR more complicated than Visual Basic.

You can do a significant amount of data presentation and UI manipulation in VB without knowing anything about what most people would consider traditional programming, and that's where it sounds like the OP is.

Honestly, for what you are looking to do, do what a poster above said and check out Filemaker Pro. You just aren't going to find anything that simplified on Mac. So much of how that works is built upon 20 years of Microsoft engineering into APIs and libraries that just don't have Mac counterparts. Real Basic could provide some of that, but it definitely won't integrate as tightly systemwide and with databases.

It honestly sounds like you are looking more for report building capability rather than a programming language.