Hi : ) !!! - Maxing out RAM !!! - Questions and 'Side effects'

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, Jan 3, 2014.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

I have a 13" MBP. It is more or less three years
    since I have had my MBP.

I am going to start doing video and I would like
    to add RAM to it.

My MBP has an Intel Core i5 processor and its
    speed is 2.3 GHz. It came with a(n) standard
    4 GB of RAM and I think one can max out to
    16 GB.

Should I max out to 16 GB? Are there any
    'Side effects' when maxing out RAM to 16 GB?
    Should I keep it at 8, 10, or 12 GB?

Last, but not least, where do you suggest to
    get RAM from?

Thank you in advance, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. Laco macrumors 6502

I have 16 in my 2012 13 inch Macbook Pro and the computer runs great. It does not really matter what brand you buy it is pretty much all the same.

3. iphonerepair12 macrumors newbie

16GB would be OK. I would recommend to use Corsair cause I have had problems before with no branded memory in my 15' i7 MBP.

4. jahall05 macrumors regular

There should be no side effects. I would research the type of ram for your machine. The speeds are different from earlier models to newer models and make sure you get something similar to what is in there now to make the upgrade smooth.

Brand at this point does not matter: Kingston, Corsair, etc.

5. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Newegg is usually the cheapest. I say just go there and find the cheapest set with remotely decent reviews. Besides price I don't know of any major downsides to maxing out your RAM.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

You might also check out Crucial. When I upgraded RAM I did some research, and asked a couple of knowledgable friends who recommended it.

Just another choice...:D

7. talmy macrumors 601

talmy

Downsides:

• Image file used for sleep is larger (file size same as memory size)
    • Longer sleep/wake times (since image has to be written/read)
    • Longer boot times because of memory test.
    • Costs money

The bottleneck for video will most likely be the dual core processor.

8. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

I will look into newegg, crucial, and
    Corsair.

In order to upgrade the RAM, do I
    have to take the computer to an
    apple service center, or is it easy to
    do it by oneself?

Kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Suggestion...

You have two memory module slots in your MBP, they will each be fitted with a 2GB module for your total of 4GB. Each slot should have the same manufacturer, specification and capacity of module in it so your options are:

Fit 2x 4GB for a total of 8GB
    Fit 2x 8Gb for a total of 16GB

As posted above there will be an increase in the sleep image file size, a slight increase in the time to sleep due to the larger file. There will also be a very slight decrease in battery life as the additional memory consumes more power however this may be offset by lower power consumption by the HDD as the MBP may not use a swap file as much, or at all (esp with 16GB depending on applications being run).

Whatever memory you buy, make sure it has a return option, MBP's can be quite sensitive to memory speed, some cheaper brands/unbranded can be unrecognized by the MBP. Kingston and Crucial both list modules they specifically expect to work with MBPs.

10. johannnn macrumors 6502a

johannnn

Don't get a cheapass memory, get something that is "Mac compatible" or just google what memories are "safe to use". As previously noted, Mac's can be sensitive.

I have 2x8 GB in my 2012 MBP non-retina and it´s awesome!

11. snaky69 macrumors 603

There is no such thing as "Mac Compatible" RAM, that is nothing more than a marketing gimmick meant to cheat you out of an extra 10-15$ for the very same memory you get when buying one without the "Mac Compatible" sticker.

Ever since the switch to Intel, a Mac is nothing more than a PC in a pretty case running OS X.

12. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Agreed, do not listen to poobear, just buy the cheapest RAM with decent reviews. "Mac Compatible" RAM is like buying a Monster HDMI cable.

13. blake2 macrumors member

blake2

If you've already checked that your MBP can hold up to 16gb, it shouldn't be a problem but if your MBP is the 2010 model like mine, it could have a limit of 8gb. Might wanna make sure your MBP holds up to 16gb before you order.

And I agree with many people here; the brand doesn't seem to matter that much anymore. I bought some cheap RAM modules from UMAX and Silicon Power in 2012 or so, they all worked fine with macs.

14. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Sorry I have experience of ram not being recognized by an MBP, of course the same ram may also not have been recognized by an equivalent pc due to some tech spec being not as per the machine expects (I don't possess a pc to test it on).

However the point is beware, not all ram may work with your mac. (Indeed why say "buy the cheapest with decent reviews", presumably those without decent reviews....give problems???)

15. simon48 macrumors 65816

simon48

Getting RAM that's DOA is the biggest problem, it's the main reason to look at reviews. This very could be what you've had happen. But if it's DOA just return it. Another reason is if they have a track record of having a short lifetime. Again, this applies the same for buying RAM for PCs and Macs. It just doesn't matter what platform you're buying for.

16. CH12671 macrumors 6502

Wait.....Monster HDMI cables aren't better?:mad::confused:;)

17. jerrykur macrumors newbie

I have a similar MacBook Pro to the original poster. I just upgraded it from 4 GB to 16 GB. It is great be able to run Xcode, Word, and Windows 8 under parallels with a 6 GB of memory at the same time.

I also replaced the rotational drive with a 480 GB SSD. The end result of this combination is that this thing screams.

18. Jaben3421 macrumors regular

Well, Mac's do need a specific CAS timing and voltage, but if you can find a set that fits the bill without the Mac sticker, then sure. For the average Joe, it's safer to get a "Mac Compatible" because he most likely won't know the specifications his Mac needs.

19. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Nonsense. I've run 1333 and 1600 MHz RAM; 1.35v and 1.5v; and sticks of different timings in my MBP (not together obviously), and all have been fine, save for a set of Corsair Vengeance that ultimately proved defective out of the box.

20. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Sorry, not nonsense. The mid 2010 MBP takes 1067Mhz speed memory. If you put in any other speed, it will NOT boot. I tried several brands at 1333Mhz and none worked.

21. Jgraeff macrumors member

My 2011 calls for 1333 I currently have 16 gb in 1600mhz. Works perfectly.

Not that all will depends on logic and mother board.

22. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

23. saturnotaku macrumors 68000

Not relevant to this discussion since the OP has a 2011 model, which will take 1333 or 1600 MHz RAM.

24. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

Hadn't seen that part. Thanks for the clarification.

25. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

My 2011 MBP states 1333 only.