Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

My 11" MBA is too full.

55 GB of 'other things',
40 GB of photos,
20 GB of other things.

I have an external hard drive. How could I transfer the bulk of information
in the most organized way? I mean, perhaps creating a folder in the hard
drive, whose name may be 'pictures 2015-2017', 'videos 2015-2017', etc.

Thank you in advance, I'll be very happy to hear all your suggestions.

Thank you very much, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Your best bet is using your external hard drive to do a full time machine backup. Doing so not only you backup all your data, but also you have current system state so that if Sth is wrong you can fall back to a previous state.

cnev3

macrumors 6502
Sep 13, 2012
Your best bet is using your external hard drive to do a full time machine backup. Doing so not only you backup all your data, but also you have current system state so that if Sth is wrong you can fall back to a previous state.

What does that have to do with what he's asking?

Hey buddy what you need to do is copy your iPhoto library to your external HDD, and then tell OSX that the new location of the library is on the external, then delete the original off the SDD and free up all that data.

If you do a google search, there are people who share how they have relocated other programs to external hdd's and microSD cards. Thats what im going to do with my new/old 64gb Air. I got a 128GB microSD card coming.

hibernate

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
I had the same issue with my 11" MBA with a 256 GB drive! I ran out of storage space so I bought a new SSD drive. I got an OWC Aura 480 GB SSD drive that I installed into my mid 2013 MBA.

I followed the instructions, and installed OSX, my old 256 GB drive contents onto the new drive and I have plenty of extra storage space now.

One important caveat. The drive runs fairly hot, uncomfortably so. I bought a cheap plastic case to put on the bottom of my MBA so that when I rest the case on my lap it won't be uncomfortably hot. I also installed the MacFans Control App so I can individualize the fan speed to help cool down the MBA with my new drive.
[doublepost=1479049251][/doublepost]OK, a cheaper option as mentioned above , is to backup your Photos.
I have used iPhoto Library Manager by FatCat Software to backup my photos to an external HD. It works great

Brammy

macrumors 68000
Sep 17, 2008
If you're on Sierra, turn on the option to download optimized photos only. That will store the hi-res images in the cloud and save you some disk space.

igmolinav

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 15, 2005
Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

Hey buddy what you need to do is copy your iPhoto library to your external HDD, and then tell OSX that the new location of the library is on the external, then delete the original off the SDD and free up all that data.
How do I go about copying it,
and then
telling OSX that the new location of the library is on the external;
and finally
deleting the original off the SDD, in order to free up all that data ??

If you do a google search, there are people who share how they have relocated other programs to external hdd's and microSD cards. Thats what im going to do with my new/old 64gb Air. I got a 128GB microSD card coming.
Which words or sentences would you suggest for a good google search, in order to get to these links where people share how they have done it? If you already have a link or two to these people, would you mind sharing it with me? I am already doing my google search and I hope it is as succesful as the one you have done. Software and computer related stuff takes is not always so easy; I'll be posting my results, however.

Thank you again, kind regards,

[doublepost=1479050152][/doublepost]Hi,

Thank you to hibernate and Brammy too : ) !!!

I'll take a look at Fat Cat software, but seems to me a bit easier to move things out of the 11" MBA.

I am not on Sierra, but Yosimite. When you talk about access to a cloud, is it a service at an extra cost?

Thank you, kind regards,

hibernate

macrumors newbie
Apr 30, 2014
Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

How do I go about copying it,
and then
telling OSX that the new location of the library is on the external;
and finally
deleting the original off the SDD, in order to free up all that data ??

That software I mentioned does that and provides info on the necessary steps.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.