Hi - new here and help required please (info from iPod to MB)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kassi, Aug 4, 2007.

1. kassi macrumors newbie

Hi - I have a Macbook which has crashed. I also have an Ipod video with all my songs and pictures on. Now I know I can get a programme (Ipod Rip) which will put all my tunes back onto my computer (when I get it back!!) but how do I get the pics back? And how do I stop the whole lot from disappearing as soon as I connect the Ipod?

:eek:

Any help gratefully received. Thanks

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Welcome.

I guess we don't need to get into how important backing up is.

Set iTunes to manually manage your music and photos. Then transfer your files from the iPod to MacBook.

3. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

mick4394

When iTunes comes up and asks if you want it to automatically sync, cancel it.

4. kassi thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi - no we don't ..... I realise I've done something stupid !!:eek:

I am not sure how to 'manually manage' though, without connecting the Ipod first, and then that would just delete everything!!!

5. kassi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks ... but it doesn't ask me that when I open it!

6. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

A program called Senuti will get the music off your ipod for you.

As for the pictures and videos, I honestly don't know I'm afraid.

7. Kelmon macrumors 6502a

Kelmon

Correct me if I am wrong but I thought that the iPod only stores iPod-sized versions of your photos rather than being duplicates of what comes to it from iPhoto. Am I mistaken in this belief? Or is what I am thinking about just for creating versions of the pictures that can be displayed on the iPod itself while the iPod does have a copy of the original as well? Sorry if this is confusing things.

With respect to getting the movies off the iPod, assuming that Disk Mode was already enabled on it so that it acts like a removable drive, I presume that you could just run a Find across the drive for files with the .m4v file extension. I suspect that you'll lose the meta information, such as the videos name, but at least you'll get the video itself. Whether or not this is a problem no doubt depends on the number of videos that you have on the iPod.