Hi - RAM in new Macbook white query...

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by TimhasaMacbook, Nov 14, 2008.

1. TimhasaMacbook macrumors newbie

Hi, i am new to the forum and mac ownership generally, i hope that someone can help with this...

I am waiting for delivery of a new macbook white (2.1GHz, 1Gby RAM) and have found a query that apple (sales and tech support) have been unable to answer. It doesn't seem to be mentioned in the guides either, but I may have missed it - please point me in the right direction if that's the case.

Anyway the new Macbook White quotes a FSB processor speed of 800MHz, but ships with RAM at 667MHz (including upgrade options). I am wanting to upgrade to 4G, and have been looking at the options and Crucial seems favorite.

Can anyone tell me why the RAM in the Macbook is not 800MHz when the FSB is, and wether it is worth me getting 800MHz RAM rather than 667MHz?

I have been told that the RAM will clock down if necessary but I would rather get the right kit, and I don't want to overclock as I need max stability.

Hope someone can help - Cheers!

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If you install 800MHz ram (PC6400) it might not even start up - many Santa Rosa/Penryn MacBooks do not like PC6400 ram - but it works fine in earlier MacBooks ( it downgrades the speed to 667MHz but works fine).

If you do put PC6400 memory in (and it starts up) it will still run at 667MHz...

So stick 4GB of PC5300 memory in it and it will be fine....if you put PC6400 in it it may not even boot and if it does will not show any speed improvement

3. TimhasaMacbook thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, thanks - I'll stick with the PC5300 then definitely.

Is the figure of 800MHz of the front side bus irrelevant then? I thought that meant the fastest speed of CPU-RAM communication i.e. ram speed.

I'd be exceptionally grateful if someone could explain why this is not the case, if only for my own curiosity...

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

No - you are correct in that it should be able to use PC6400 ram and run at 800GHz - but it doesn't - presumably crippled by Apple......