Hi-res 15" MBP and adjusting ALL font sizes

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by entatlrg, May 2, 2010.

1. entatlrg macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Is it possible to adjust ALL the font sizes, (default system fonts?) including the UI interfaces in all software programs.

For example, with the hi-res screen programs like Evernote fonts are quite small compared to the standard res screen. Isn't there master settings or a way to adjust the default font size for all the OS and software programs?

I understand you can easily adjust the fonts on web pages, word doc's etc with finger swipe, C+/- but it doesn't work for everything. For example the tiny text on the top menu bar where clock and icons are, they are tiny compared to the 1440 x 900 screen. Does everyone agree with that? Crisp and clear yes, but small.

- adjusting the resolution (to 1440 x 900) other than the default isn't an solution, it doesn't re-size properly.
    - There's no 'DPI' adjustment as in windows allowing you to the increase the fonts, (not that it works that great on Windows anyway).

For some this would be the ultimate solution. Even if it took some time it would be worth it. You'd have a screen with a great resolution and also the larger font size - best of both worlds, would make a lot of people happy.

Is this possible?

2. picklesmand macrumors member

You can do this with Tinkertool
    http://www.bresink.com/osx/TinkerTool.html

It's a free application that gives you access to many options that are normally set using "defaults" in the Terminal. There's a way to set the system-wide fonts, as seen below.

see screenshot (from their website) here:
    http://img685.imageshack.us/i/screenshot20100502at917.png/

I want to get the hi-res antiglare, because I can increase the font size in all web browsers/PDFs, which is where I do 90% of my reading.

I also spend a lot of time in XCode, which lets you set the font sizes. For everything else, there's Tinkertool.

It would be awesome if someone with a hi-res screen could use Tinkertool to increase some font sizes and show us some screenshots!

3. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

Sure would!

That's an excellent find, could be a solution for many including myself - perhaps a chance to get the best of both worlds?

4. picklesmand macrumors member

So I was fooling around with the Resolution Indepedence support in Snow Leopard, and it looks like they haven't come too far since Tiger.

Here's Safari scaled to 2 times the original size, with iTunes scaled to 0.5. Pretty funny looking! The close/minimize/zoom buttons are beautiful though.
    It actually works ok, but certain elements are still buggy.

You can see the commands I used to do it in the Terminal below.
    I just wish they'd just make everything scale properly already...

http://img710.imageshack.us/img710/6213/screenshot20100503at123.png

5. picklesmand macrumors member

needless to say, this is one of the all-time best mac pranks to pull on people, better than "squishy windows" even.

6. parajba macrumors 6502

This is sick! It's like if the screen is drunk or perhaps hungover!

7. nonlocal macrumors newbie

Thanks for mentioning this app,looks like it'll be the most useful thing to have on the HR,and the ultimate solution to the "small fonts conundrum".
    I second the notion that it'd be awesome if someone used it and showed us the results.
    Cheers

8. kolax macrumors G3

I did look at into adjusting all the fonts.

However, main issue is adjusting Safari's font size. If you increase the font size (zoom text only), tables and forms etc become screwed up. The only way to prevent that is to zoom in, which means that tables etc all zoom with the text which is great, but graphics/images also zoom in meaning them look crap.

So can't really win..

Main reason I'm going back to 1440x900. Can't handle the high-res and there isn't really a proper solution to scaling websites to make them more readable without screwing up their layout or making images etc oversized and pixelated.

9. entatlrg thread starter macrumors 68040

entatlrg

So you tried TinkerTool and it didn't work for you?