Hi-Res 17" MBP or not?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by powerchord, Jan 17, 2008.

1. powerchord macrumors member

Now that the dust has settled in a post-1/15 Apple world with no MBP update, I have decided to take the plunge and get one. I am thinking about the 17" 2.4 200gb/7200rpm model. Anyone out there care to share their opinions on whether or not a hi-res screen is better?

I will be using the laptop primarily as a desktop replacement, and will be spending a few hours on it each day (mostly for researching, reading online journals and news, preparing documents and presentations, and some audio, photo, and video editing, and internet of course).

I decided that more screen real estate would probably be better for me. But is the hi-res too refined for reading/composing lots of text. Or can the resolution be adjusted for certain tasks and still look good?

I would appreciate any info.

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

You will not be disappointed! I have that exact machine, I prefer the matte screen. I love mine!

3. xpovos macrumors 6502a

xpovos

I don't find it hard to read or write extensively on the high-res 17", and I never have to change the font sizes. Moreover, the screen is just generally of a higher quality than the standard-res screen, giving an impression of greater overall quality.

4. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

. . . and the standard screen is pretty damn nice. Considering the price you're at, if it were I, another 100 bucks is well worth it.
    And good for you for abandoning the waiting game.

5. Everythingisnt macrumors 6502a

Everythingisnt

Yup. The High-res screen is definitely a better choice, because as far as I can tell, it makes everything look much better. There aren't any issues about resolution or font size being too small, either =).

6. powerchord thread starter macrumors member

Thanks everyone!

Your responses have been both helpful and reassuring. Thanks for the encouragement Batt, I decided that waiting anymore than this was just becoming ridiculous - the current MBP's probably have more than I need already. I can't waste anymore time watching and waiting for the sake of vanity. I need to move on man :cool:

7. powerchord thread starter macrumors member

oh, btw, I just got off the phone with an Apple sales rep (52 mins) and he intimated that the 200gb/7200 rpm hd might be more prone to malfunction (as opposed to the 250/5400rpm)... what do you all think? Does anyone have any insight or experience on this?

nikshub, what do you say?

8. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

You're welcome. I actually bought a brand-new last generation MBP, because I knew it was already more than I could use, and I couldn't resist the price. $2099 delivered. Happy as the proverbial clam.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

I say bollocks! The drives that were prone to failure were SEAGATES, the 200GB 7200RPM drives are Hitachis... I switched to one a couple of months ago and could not be happier. It is the fastest Non SSD Laptop HD on the market right now.

10. elcid macrumors 6502

Buy applecare (which its a laptop, so i would anyways) and it wont matter! I doubt they would really be pushing drives that were prone to break and I agree, I thought they were seagates.

11. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Go for the high res, it makes the 17" MBp an even more enjoyable experience to use, The screen real estate is awesome. Fonts can be adjusted. You wi not regret it my wife and I both have one and love them.

12. dante@sisna.com macrumors 6502a

dante@sisna.com

Agree high res way to go.

13. Towhead macrumors regular

14. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

I have a high-res 17" MBP and the screen is absolutely superb - very clear and easy to read (even though my eyesight isn't as good as it used to be). Definitely worth the extra dough IMHO

15. TheStu macrumors 65816

Besides, even if you get it and the res is too high, you can easily dial it back to something larger like 1680*1050 since they conform to the same ratio. It might seem a little blurry, but overall should be fine.

Also, if Leopard actually ever gets its Resolution Independence you will have less of an issue, since then things will be defined by physical sizes rather than pixels.