Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nghia Nguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
California
I'm about to order the 15" i7 soon. I'll leave the country to travel in Asia for 3 months this summer, so I will tend to be outdoors a lot. On daily basis, I'm a college student and freelance graphic designer - I usually use my computer in class or at home (not too much outdoors).

I was debating about getting the regular glossy screen, or Hi-Res Anti-glare screen, just because the regular anti-glare doesn't seem to be offered. And sadly, it costs $150 extra ($135 for educational discount).

I read somewhere a while ago, matte screen gives more accurate colors on the screen, while glossy gives more popping and vivid colors. Tough choice for me. Based on what I mentioned above, do you guys recommend me to get the Hi-Res Anti-glare screen? Is it really worth the money? What's good and bad about both of them?

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Glossy will look more saturated. Matte, in my opinion, has been easier to calibrate.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
much cheaper option if it is not the high res you need. Get one of the matt screen covers. They cost arround 30 bucks and work very well. You also still have the glass protecting the panel and can always go back to glossy.

JoeG4

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2002
I think not having glass is a good thing, and so are matte screens.

I know the whole bit about better color accuracy because the background lighting isn't causing your screen to be faded out, but ...... seriously? SERIOUSLY? Ugh.

I still don't like glossy screens at all XD

iWantMyMac

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2010
Any opinions on whether getting hi-res (whether matte or glossy) is worth it? Is $100-$150 worth it for 36% more pixels? I'm thinking of getting this option.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
more information?

much cheaper option if it is not the high res you need. Get one of the matt screen covers. They cost arround 30 bucks and work very well. You also still have the glass protecting the panel and can always go back to glossy.

Have you used one? I can see putting a screen protector on something as small as an iphone or ipad, but does it really work for a 15" MBP? That would be great for me, as I usually park my MBP at home and use an external display. It's only when I travel that I use the MBP screen itself.:confused:

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
A matte screen cover will not look the same because there's much more space between the panel and the diffusing surface.

Matte display:
Panel -> Diffuser

Glossy display with matte cover:
Panel -> Air -> Glass -> Diffuser

Overall image quality will be worse than on the real matte screen.

macpluslaptop

macrumors 6502
Jun 5, 2007
Overall image quality will be worse than on the real matte screen.

Thanks, that's very helpful. So can anyone explain the effect of a higher resolution on a 15" screen? Less legible than ordinary resolution? Tiny tiny type?

anthorumor

macrumors 65816
Jun 16, 2009
Sydney, Australia
I moved from my PowerBook G4 to my MacBook Pro glossy and suffice to say I was dissapointed. Over the months of usage however I grew fond of that beautiful display but my reflections and the bad viewing angles kept urking me, considering the MBP was meant to be an upgrade on all fronts from the PowerBook. When I sold my MBP and returned to my humble PowerBook I instantly knew what my next purchase would have to be.

So after adding AU$170 to my order (geez some 20 inch LCDs cost this much) I am coming back home to the humble matte screen. And with a resolution upgrade to boot!

Nghia Nguyen

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
California
I moved from my PowerBook G4 to my MacBook Pro glossy and suffice to say I was dissapointed. Over the months of usage however I grew fond of that beautiful display but my reflections and the bad viewing angles kept urking me, considering the MBP was meant to be an upgrade on all fronts from the PowerBook. When I sold my MBP and returned to my humble PowerBook I instantly knew what my next purchase would have to be.

So after adding AU$170 to my order (geez some 20 inch LCDs cost this much) I am coming back home to the humble matte screen. And with a resolution upgrade to boot!

Exactly my point: $150 is like buying a new monitor literally. But I guess I'm going for the matte screen.

Thanks for all the opinions.

apw100

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2010
Jacksonville, FL
I just ordered the high end 15" w/ high res anti-glare display and 7200rpm hard drive. The Apple store near my house had the same model, but without the anti-glare screen, so it was a no-go.
Unfortunately, its going to be 2-4 business days before it ships and an additional 2-3 business days for it to arrive.
I just hope it doesn't have any dead pixels, because that is one thing I can't tolerate in a $2000+ laptop.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
I use a matte cover and love it but not on a display with a glass panel in between. There are some that are easy to put on. The one I had was a little of a hassle but just does perfectly what it is supposed to do. It has less impact on contrast and color in my opinion compared to real matte displays which are "more" matt. A lot of matte screens look like they only are matte and diffuse light while the covers often bring Anti reflective coating like Sony puts it on their glossy displays and that is IMO better for contrast and color than the more effective diffusion of light of real matte screens.
I will again go for a matte cover but I intend to get a 13" now because the 15" are just too expensive for what they are worth. I don't really have a choice to pick original matte.

In general matte is just a blessing. I like the analogy of a quite silent notebook compared to a loud and noisy fan. You can get used to a loud notebook but the matte is just so much more relaxing and comfortable to watch for a long time. You can get used to little reflections but it is so nice not having any and not having to care which way to sit or face or whatever. It is not such a big issue when surfing the web as most websites are white but as soon as you fire up a movie or TV show on hulu there is lot of dark scenes and then the better color pop of glossy should be necessary but it just annoys if there are these annoying reflections.

sth

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2006
The old world
Thanks, that's very helpful. So can anyone explain the effect of a higher resolution on a 15" screen? Less legible than ordinary resolution? Tiny tiny type?
Smaller but not much since even with the hi-res option, the pixel density is lower than on the stock 17" model. If you have no problems reading text on that, you won't have on the hi-res 15" either.

quest307

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2010
Hey

does anybody of you know whether the High res. glossy display on the 15 inch mbp has the same black frame? Or maybe another, maybe the silver frame as the anti-glare frame? Maybe someone of u already have this modell :)

I hope anybody could answer me soon because I already ordered a 15 inch mbp with the high res glossy screen xD

Thx

Jof

macrumors regular
Oct 2, 2008
Hi res = great
Matte = great
Matte = aluminium bezel (confirmed by apple store person to me today).
Matte = soft = don't let children at it with sharp implements

Get it; you want regret it*. Glossy is really annoying, IMHO.

(*Caveat; heard a rumour Apple are introducing a glass, matte finish later in the year. Don't know when. Don't have details. Can't substantiate).

Arie

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2010
The Netherlands
Hey

does anybody of you know whether the High res. glossy display on the 15 inch mbp has the same black frame? Or maybe another, maybe the silver frame as the anti-glare frame? Maybe someone of u already have this modell :)

I hope anybody could answer me soon because I already ordered a 15 inch mbp with the high res glossy screen xD

Thx

It has the normal screen, with the black border. Only the anti-glare screen has a different frame, which is silver.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.