Hi-Res Glossy versus Anti-Glare!?!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by semiauto, Jul 27, 2012.

1. semiauto, Jul 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2012

semiauto macrumors member

Okay,

So I know that the debate between anti-glare and glossy is very much a personal preference and that there is no clear "winner."

BUT

I am majoring in Communications with a focus on Film/Broadcast so I want to know which display is better for video editing (Premiere Pro,FCP) and graphics (Photoshop,Illustrator,Lightroom)? Is there a significant color difference?
    I have been to an Apple retail store to see them in person, however,
    I didn't really get to see them in a natural, sunny enviroment, etc...

Also, I have seen anti-glare films that you can put on manually and they are fairly inexpensive. Should I get the hi-res glossy and an anti-glare film and then be able to take off and on the anti-glare?

Thanks.

2. mykelala01 macrumors 6502

mykelala01

personally I choose glossy over matte. But that is my personal choice, so it is really a personal opinion. If you are easily distracted by all the reflection that surround you. Then go with Matte. But me I love my Hi-Res glossy.

3. spacepower7 macrumors 68000

I wouldn't trust either of them for color correcting, In my limited questioning of coworkers and grad school classmates, no one was ever bothered by glossy glass, and many preferred it.

4. espiritujo macrumors member

espiritujo

Anti-Glare. Love it. You won't regret it if you get one. I think for me personally, the reason why I chose it was because of the aluminum bezel on the rim of the screen. I got one myself (2nd day with it btw), and I'm glad I made the choice. Not only do I like the look of it aesthetically, I like the fact that I can use it much better outside than when I used my white macbook outside.

5. quasinormal macrumors 6502a

Since you asked.

The only advantage I can think of in favour of anti-glare is a slight weight weight saving, but that is counteracted by a reduction in strength of the screen/lid and the worry of damaging the screen. The way I see it, any anti-glare viewing advantage is counteracted by the diffusion of the image.

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Glossy generally gives more vibrant colors. And IMO a good glossy display looks more like a print than a matte display.

But, all the macbook pros (except the retina display MBP) have 6-bit TN panels. So their color accuracy is limited at best.