Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Seraphex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
Hi..

I'm getting the mbp 15" 6750 predominantly for gaming but also for a little photoshop work on the side & wasn't sure which screen to go for.

I went to the shop and to be honest couldn't see much of a difference in colour quality on the matte screen which makes me want to go for it.

It's going to be mainly used inside (but it is getting towards summer, and my room is v sunny in the afternoon's).

So .. which one looks better for gaming?

Cheers

Gol27

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I too would like to know this purely focusing on the gaming aspect.

skitzogreg

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Arkansas
Hi..

I'm getting the mbp 15" 6750 predominantly for gaming but also for a little photoshop work on the side & wasn't sure which screen to go for.

I went to the shop and to be honest couldn't see much of a difference in colour quality on the matte screen which makes me want to go for it.

It's going to be mainly used inside (but it is getting towards summer, and my room is v sunny in the afternoon's).

So .. which one looks better for gaming?

Cheers

Neither, really. It's not so much the color differences (ignore the washed-out theory), but rather the location aspect. You're buying this for gaming. Odds are you're not just going to game at your desk at home, but rather at work maybe, during travel, at a potential LAN party, etc. You don't know what the lighting is like everywhere you go, and having to mess with getting your screen just right to reduce glare on the glossy screen will drive you up the wall. The matte screen and the added resolution can eliminate glare and slightly improve the visuals of your games.

Hands down, take the matte option.

ddehr026

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2010
I play counter strike a lot of my mbp's and just went from a preunibody 2008 matte screen (8600gt 512) to a unibody glossy screen (9600gt 512).

Long story short, I hate the glossy for games. When I am zooming and scoping, the majority of the screen is black and the glare is ridiculous, very very distracting. And when I am in dark places in certain maps, I cannot see anything because of the glare. I can only sit in certain places in my apt. Needless to say, when I purchase my next mbp, I can guarantee it will be the antiglare screen.

deadlystriker

macrumors regular
Jan 15, 2011
Matte screen so you can game for longer hours as it's easy on the eyes. Glossy just gives me a headache, even with casual browsing of the web. It's like a mirror.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I have the glossy and couldn't be more happy with it. Many talk about with the glossy you'll have reflections, see yourself like you're looking in the mirror, etc..

I'm on day 11 with mine and haven't had any of those issues.

I think one of the biggest things is where you'll be using the laptop more, indoors / out.

grahamnp

macrumors 6502a
Jun 4, 2008
As you don't seem to find the matte screen to be any worse when it comes to colour, go with the matte. For photoshop or anything where accuracy is desired, the matte is preferable, BUT, not perfect, just better.

dusk007

macrumors 68040
Dec 5, 2009
Biggest problem by far with gaming is that many games show a lot of dark content and unless you only game at night in a dark room you will experience a lot of glare. Matte is the safe choice it works always and for everything. Glossy is for those who prefer the "pop" of its contrast and colors it doesn't really help in any situation it may only look slightly better in some.

At night the glossy is a little better but with matte you have the option of making use of your great battery life and just sit in your garden on a sunny day surfing the web or doing some work. With glossy you are confined to indoor gaming and only for a little more pop in a screen that in matte beats around 95% of all non MBP Notebooks be it glossy or matte in contrast and color.

Seraphex

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 16, 2009
So the consensus seems to be go with the Matte display due to it's location based durability?! Makes sense.

Slightly worried about the colour/contrast loss in gaming but sounds like it's minimal.

Thanks for the input - will update when i receive :D

JTToft

macrumors 68040
Apr 27, 2010
Aarhus, Denmark
I can tell you that I am extremely happy with my antiglare screen!
I, too, spent a lot of time debating the pros and cons of glossy vs. antiglare. I must say that I enjoy not having to worry about where I put my computer, or how to set the brightness. I can just use the screen anywhere, at any angle, and at whatever brightness level I desire.

There is a hall at my school with particularly poor lighting conditions. This is where the semi-annual tests are arranged. I remember once, after a test, one of my fellow students came up to me and said: "You must really be enjoying your antiglare screen in here. The glare from the lamps in the ceiling is driving me crazy". I told him I was, and that I hadn't even noticed the lamps. :)

bcaslis

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2008
I've had both the hires glossy and antiglare. I don't use it for gaming but I found the glossy to not be as good color wise as the antiglare and returned it. Those who say the antiglare is washed out could not have possibly tried the 2011 antiglare. I actually find it better for colors and even the blacks are as good as the glossy for me.

zenit

macrumors member
Sep 2, 2010
I have a glossy one on order right now. Personal I never liked the way games looked on anti glare panels. Making the emitted light pass through an extra layer of polarizer is never going to help with image clarity and sharpness. Also anti glare coating on TN panels accentuates visible dithering which is utilized in games often.

kappaknight

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I have a glossy one on order right now. Personal I never liked the way games looked on anti glare panels. Making the emitted light pass through an extra layer of polarizer is never going to help with image clarity and sharpness. Also anti glare coating on TN panels accentuates visible dithering which is utilized in games often.

If you checked out the new screens for yourself and didn't notice any color difference, (I didn't either), then I would go with the matte option. I had the glossy, like it, but in the end switched over to matte when I upgraded cause of the glare. Those things don't bother you at first but they do over time under different conditions.

Gaming on the matte MBP is not any worse than glossy for SC2 - what I primarily play. Also, working on the matte has also been easy on my eyes, despite the smaller fonts.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.