Hi res images

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Has anyone noticed that hi res images that are akin to the new screen take a while to "come into focus"? I downloaded some of the iPad wallpapers at interface lift that are 2048x2048. I saved them to my photos app. When I view them, they are first very blurry and then snap into focus. When I view them as a slide show from the lock screen, they look like complete garbage before snapping in.

http://interfacelift.com/wallpaper/downloads/date/apple/ipad_3/

ndpitch

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 9, 2010
Yeah. Look at them in a slide show from the lock screen. It's pretty bad...

andrewfee

macrumors 6502
Aug 29, 2004
The new iPad has the same CPU as the iPad 2, and only double the GPU capabilities.

Decoding images for display at the screen's native resolution, a 4× increase, is going to take longer. Same reason PDFs take forever to render a page in iBooks now.

CalWizrd

Suspended
Jun 21, 2011
NYC/Raleigh, NC
Has anyone noticed that hi res images that are akin to the new screen take a while to "come into focus"? I downloaded some of the iPad wallpapers at interface lift that are 2048x2048. I saved them to my photos app. When I view them, they are first very blurry and then snap into focus. When I view them as a slide show from the lock screen, they look like complete garbage before snapping in.
From another thread... might be your answer...

That's because they've been saved as progressive JPGs, which isn't a good things anymore. Progressive JPGs save multiple quality settings into each file and will load the lowest one first, then on through to the highest one. This is why it seems like the picture starts fuzzy and then clears up. This also makes the file larger than it needs to be. PNGs have this option as well, but its usually not used.