Hi res or better performance

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Arsenal09, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Arsenal09 macrumors member

Hi everyone,

i know there are much threads about the hi res sreen for the 15inch, and as i can see, almost everyone says it's worth it. so i'm planning to buy the 15inch, but i cannot effort me to go over 2100 euro.

so here's the deal, i don't know what buy, the base one (2.0 Ghz) with hi res for 1900 from Apple or i can buy the high end (2.2 Ghz) for only 2050 on a online webshop in my country. it's not that i surely need the power of the high end. i'm gonna do some gaming, but not intense, but it's overall a better performer and more futureproof.. what would you choose?

Cheers.

2. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

Personally, I don't think that you would miss .2 GHz, but you would REALLY miss a higher resolution screen.

So get the high-res screen.
    that's my two cents.

3. errorunknown macrumors member

One thing to note is the difference in graphics cards. 256mb vs 1GB and the 1GB one is MUCH faster. If you plan on any gaming or graphics intensive work, skip the lower end model.

4. TheFarmer macrumors 6502

^This :)

5. WonkyPanda macrumors regular

WonkyPanda

Yup. If you plan to do moderate to intensive gaming, go with the 2.2

6. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

If you're not going to spend another cent on this laptop, ever, go with the base model. You get a much more "complete" package.

HOWEVER, everything you mentioned (with the exception of high res screen) is a self-serviceable part. That's to say, when your budget allows it, somewhere down the line, you can upgrade RAM, or upgrade SSD, or buy that case. There's no rush.

BUT, if you go with the 2.0 model, and decide later that the GPU wasn't enough. Sorry, but you're SOL.

And for the hi-res screen, there's the option of screen replacement, which is a bit tougher, along with just getting an external, which is much cheaper and better.

7. head honcho 123 macrumors 6502

if ur gonna do more graphics related things, i would def. recommend the 1GB DDR5 GPU instead of the lower model.

the thing is... even if u opt to not get the high res screen you can always buy urself a huge 24-27 inch screen and connect it with the mbp. so that's already future proof right there. the 1 GB DDR5 GPU will handle the external screen much better than the 256 MB.

so my suggestion:
    spend the money on the one with the 1 GB DDR5 and forget the high res. you can always replace the high res with a 27 inch dell if u want more screen real estate.

8. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

i prefer the screen difference unless you really need the speed bump?

9. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

When people say graphics for GAMING. The 1 GB of graphics won't do much for Illustrator/Photoshop etc. Not sure about 3D rendering (I'm assuming it will help) or Video editing (still 2D, no?).

EDIT: I was stuck on the hi-res screen as well, but the lack of companies selling them (other than apple) made me spring for the base Model 15" which I got for $1625 shipped new in box. If I bought from apple with the upgraded screen I was going to be near $2000 after tax.

I thought I'd be disappointed with the 1440x900 glossy screen.....but surprisingly I'm not! Ther are always external monitors...

10. awer25 macrumors 65816

awer25

It's a tough call - what do you plan on using it for?

11. 2hvy4grvty macrumors 6502

Pretty much the entire adobe suite supports opengl, which can be accelerated using dedicated GPU. What are you on?

Granted, nvidia chips with their CUDA cores are better supported, ATI nevertheless can lend a helping hand.

12. tombubi macrumors regular

Gaming- high end

No gaming-low end with high resolution screen

13. Sam2lucky13 macrumors 6502

Sam2lucky13

personally i wouldnt pass up the higher end graphics and cpu.

14. Arsenal09 thread starter macrumors member

It will be my main computer. so pretty much; the casual webbrowsing and stuff, and some photo/video editing and some gaming.

Maybe it will be better to wait till i have enough money for the high end with hi-res. but that will be around october i think.. it will be hard to wait so long.