Hi-Res or Standard Display in 15" MBPro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by halledise, Jun 9, 2010.

1. halledise macrumors 65816

Hamilton Island, Whitsundays, QLD Australia
    can someone please clarify the benefits of the Hi-Res option over the regular Display that comes with the 15" MacBook Pro

do you gotta have better eyes for the Hi-Res to be an advantage cos things are smaller, or is it just sharper and clearer :confused::confused::confused:

2. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

The advantage is more resolution, which potentially could translate to more productivity as you can view more at a time on the screen. Everything is smaller and sharper as a result of the increased pixel density. I don't think you need perfect vision but if you have an uncorrected visual impairment it may be harder to read things. The text size can be increased in some applications but not all. Personally, I'm glad I went with the high-res antiglare display.

3. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

It is definitely quite a bit smaller, but also helpful if you want to run multiple things at once and have more windows on your screen, but if you don't like small text, then it probably isn't for you.

4. exe163 macrumors regular

If you can't think of an instance where you find yourself running out of space on the screen ended up switching back and forth between windows, get the regular res.

5. YellowPencil macrumors newbie

I strongly recommend going to an Apple Store to compare the two side-by-side. I initially got the hi-res 15-inch but quickly found that the text size was just too small for me. I tried increasing the font size, which you can do in most apps, but the issue for me was the browser. While it makes text larger, zooming in web pages makes images look pixelated, which I didn't like. And on top of that I didn't like the idea of having to zoom in every web site I visited (though you can get browser plugins that automatically zoom every site, which is what I did). The extra space and increased sharpness and clarity was definitely nice, but the small text size and having to zoom web sites convinced me to return the hi-res model for a standard res model. I'm really happy with the standard res so far, but I've seen plenty of people have no problem with the hi-res. It depends on the person, so I would highly suggest seeing the two for yourself.

Good luck!