Hi-Res screen broke. Will a standard-res screen replacement work?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blownsphinctr, Jan 3, 2011.

1. blownsphinctr macrumors newbie

I was riding my motorcycle on new year's eve with my brand new 15" 2.8GHz i7/hi-res matte display/8GB RAM/500GB Momentus XT MacBook Pro in my backpack and crashed into a car at 45mph. My MacBook's unibody was bent badly in the corner where the hard drive resides and crushed the hard drive and superdrive and bent the aluminum LCD panel, but left the LCD screen, battery, RAM, and motherboard untouched. The top and bottom aluminum unibody case/panel are destroyed. So I'm thinking of replacing my hi-res matte LCD assembly (LCD plus aluminum cover) with the standard-res glossy version simply because it's cheaper. Is it possible to swap out the displays like this or will it cause a conflict with other components? Anyone know?

Thanks!

2. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I have no idea as far as far as the swapping screens goes but I just wanted to say I am so sorry to hear about the accident and I hope you are okay.

3. pricej636 macrumors 6502

Honestly, it sounds like you would be better off buying another MBP and starting over. If the machine suffered that much trauma there is no telling what else was damaged, regardless of how the logic board looks.

Id just hate for you to spend the money and rebuild it only to have it still not work, or fail on you a couple months down the line due to some unseen damage.

4. christophermdia macrumors 6502a

christophermdia

I just had my hi res screen break, I have a genius bar appt tomorrow to see what the cost is. My experience was less traumatic being that my kid stepped on my MBP cracking the screen. Computer works fine connected to a monitor though. Did you get an estimate from the apple store? If so do you know what they charged?

I might be saved from my purchase using my AMEX Purchase Protection, as long as the cost is below $1000 to repair, if you bought your computer with an AMEX that might be something to look into as well.

5. aCondor macrumors 6502

I would sell your motorcycle and MBP and get a car with airbags. Can't use an Apple product if you're dead. ;)

6. blownsphinctr thread starter macrumors newbie

My girlfriend fully agrees with you, she won't let me get back on two wheels. I actually crashed my Vespa, not a motorcycle. I only said motorcycle because Vespas fall under the motorcycle class in Hawaii. As far as my MBP, I think I'm gonna remove the LCD and just use it as a desktop CPU for a while to see if it's fully functional. If it works fine then I'll start ordering the replacement parts.