hi-res screen on 15" screen

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by wwe2008, Mar 6, 2011.

1. wwe2008 macrumors 6502

hello, is it worth the upgrade? i dont do photo work but when watching films etc is it worth it?
    thanks

2. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I think its worthwhile but I have the 17" with the 1920x1200 display.

3. Buck987 macrumors 6502a

This is the type of question you want to really try to answer yourself after checking them out at an Apple store if at all possible.

You can set them up side by side and run a 1080p trailer and decide for yourself.

good luck

4. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

sadly I live on an island so it means getting a boat etc to the nearest apple store, we do have currys/ pc world but their apple stuff is basically one 13" MBP, 15" and 17" so probably not a hi-res screen

5. ghostlyorb macrumors 6502a

ghostlyorb

Woah, where do you live? I am going to get the high-res 15" 2.3 guad-i7 this summer for school... I think it's worth it. More screen real-estate!

6. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

an island of the coast of south england, isle of wight, its not a long boat journey and the apple store is close to the port but its the effort to go over! im probably going for 2.2GHz quad i7, Hi-Res and booq vyper, they are the best cases right?

7. danielpicasso macrumors member

danielpicasso

hi res....

Yes. I compared the hi-res to non hi-res and its works for me and i compared hi-res vs anti glare hi-res and chose glass hi-res. i am an artist and view a lot of art images/watch some film. Overall once you get use to it its really beautifull to look at. Only issue for me it makes mail a little smaller in a 1680 x 1050 mode. so if you are doing a lot of email work you can reduce the display to 1440 x 852 and its a larger image. BTW my MBP is from December. MBP is one great laptop.... good luck

8. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

ahh thanks, probably will go hi-res!! most of my email I do off my iphone anyway so it shouldnt be a problem!

EDIT: can someone confirm that the booq vyper is in fact one of the best cases? thanks :)

9. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

HI-RES all the way, i got it with my 15" 2010 model and the extra pixels make a lot of difference i think.

10. tmagman macrumors 6502

without a doubt absolutely worth it. Adds so much workspace and movies and such look amazing on it. Make sure you get the anti-glare too- people say blacks from movies dont look as good on it but i think they do, plus all colors look much better on it (and of course you'll never be swearing at yourself for buying a glossy in a room covered in fluorescent lights.

11. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

+1 make sure you go antiglare. In my opinion this is way more important than the resolution. I hate the glossy screens with a passion.

12. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

I've never heard of this case. I just peeked at their site. Looks like an alright case but I quit using my soft case a long time ago and now my MBP just goes in my messenger bag. I don't think there are many cases out there that would really save your computer from major if dropped from a significant distance. Though, I did spend 40 bucks on my soft case so for 50 its not terribly expensive. The best case is kind of a relative term though.

13. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

anyone know where i can see the macbook pro with the silver anti glare border online?

14. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

http://www.apple.com/macbookpro/specs.html

There you go, just click the link below the picture for glossy and antiglare. It'll show you the different bezels.

15. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

i dont like the silver haha

16. ThaDoggg macrumors 6502a

ThaDoggg

Hi-res glossy and a booq sleeve is the way to go. You made the right choice, don't worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. pcorlatan macrumors newbie

Another option if you just want anti-glare is to buy an anti-glare screen protector off eBay. I bought a 13" from this guy a few months back and it worked great on my 13" MacBook Pro, although was a pain to install without getting dust underneath. It looked awesome though, and definitely helped reduce the glare/make it look matte:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220690911745&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I ordered a 15" one for my new MacBook Pro because I'm suffering with the glossy screen on it.

18. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah if worst comes to worst then ill get a film for anti glare
    can anyone recommend a bag for school etc to go with the booq vyper? :)

19. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

BBP Industries backpack + Booq Vyper is the way to go.

20. orangechef macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Well the Mac stores around do not offer the 15" as a display model. Only the MacBook, Mbp standard res and the 17".

I belive high res screens are inevitable in the long run as multi tasking and screen space continue to be needed. Plus it looks amazing! As you will read on multiple threads.

21. orangechef macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Sorry, the apple stores here in Canada do not offer a 15" high res display model. I asked a rep. They claim it's not part of the current model showcase plan. Probably not alot of specific demand.

22. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

the backpack looks great! dont know whether I want a messenger style bag though, is a backpack better for protecting, carry the laptop?

EDIT: cant seem to order on in UK, is there one similar on apple store etc?

23. Euroamerican macrumors member

Euroamerican

Hi wwe2008,

Google "mbp 15 vs 15 hi res" for starters, and search this forum as well, for there are many people who've asked the same questions and been conflicted on which is the best choice. I finally gave up and bought the 13" MBP when it finally came out and therefore was able to avoid the hi res purchase decision.

I think I would have gone ahead and gotten hi res on 15, if I were to have to have spent the extra big money to step up from the 13 already.

24. dolphindolphin macrumors regular

Interesting. They do have a program to ship internationally, but I don't know how complicated/expenseive it is.

http://www.bbpbags.com/bongo.html

As for the messenger vs backpack, it's all about preference. I have always used a backpack, so this was a logical choice for me. It's extremely comfortable btw.

25. wwe2008 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah shipping is probably more than the bag!
    i wil probably go backpay as i feel that the mbp will probably get more protection as a messenger can get banged etc, any alternatives to the bbp that are similar?