Hi Res Screen, Worth It?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Starbuckpga, Jul 1, 2011.

1. Starbuckpga macrumors regular

Looking for a little advice on the screen for my new MacBook Pro. Decided to go with the 15" with upgraded processor to 2.3 and 4Gb memory. Will upgrade the memory myself to 8Gb after getting the laptop.

Just trying to decide is it worth it to go with the Hi Res screen? I do the like the idea of a higher resolution. Not a big video editor, but will play a few games from time to time. Or do I just stick with the standard 1440x900 resolution and screen?

Thanks to any advice and comments.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

I would upgrade the screen to future proof. I remember when I got my iPod touch and the higher resolution screen was so could I could not stand the other screens.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Its only worth it, if you need the higher res. For me, I prefer not going down that path, as its more difficult to read.

I'm not sure how a higher res display would make it more future proof - that doesn't seem to make sense to me :confused:

Also consider usage, will you have the laptop hooked up to an external monitor, if so that decreases the advantage of a high res display.

4. cvs macrumors member

cvs

The antiglare hi res option is great !!!

8GB ram is also nice to have as you already know :eek:

5. harrisondavies, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

harrisondavies macrumors 6502

harrisondavies

From my perspective, the best decision I made was to go Hi-Resolution. To be perfectly honest, if i could, I'd want to go higher for even more screen real estate.

My partner has a non-Hi-Res screen and it just doesn't compare.

Go Hi-Res, you won't be sorry. IMO antiglare just doesn't cut the mustard in terms of quality and depth you get with a glass screen, it's missing that certain something if you know what I mean.

Everyone complains about reflections, but I don't notice them, and as for hard to read, what nonsense, sure things appear smaller, but if you can't read them get glasses. Go to the apple store and check out both options, if your eyes can handles hi-res then do it.

The hi-res is sharp and bright, with great colour and tone. The same can be said of the low-res of course.

6. islanders macrumors 6502

I didn't like the anti glare at all and sent mine back after one day. My plasma TV has glassy screen and the reflections don't bother me. It's mounted on an articulating bracket so I could adjust it but I don't even notice the reflections.
    I'm convinced the defused light through the screen on anti glare causes eye strain, but that's just my experience with it. My Apple Store didn't have a glossy hi res but I would consider that. Maybe wait until Lion comes out to see about the font size.

7. Prhymeate macrumors member

8. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Go to the Apple store. Check it out for yourself and decide what is right for you.

If you need screen real estate, it can certainly help. If you have trouble reading smaller fonts, an external 27" monitor may help solve both problems.

9. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

save the money on the 2.3GHz CPU upgrade and spend it on the high res screen instead. You won't notice the speed difference but you will notice the extra pixels when you're using it.

10. randomrazr macrumors 65816

so u didnt get a macbook at all?

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

resolution is a preference thing. whether or not it's worth it is completely up to you.

12. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Go hi-res, but avoid antiglare - image sharpness suffers a great deal.

13. jason221 macrumors 6502

The best way to decide is to use a hi-res model for a few hours and then go back to standard res. You'll notice the difference quite quickly. I just got a hi-res antiglare on Wednesday, and I love it! The antiglare is perfect for me. Videos look just fine, and I can use it anywhere in the house without having to fight against reflections. If you are in a room with windows and it's remotely sunny outside, you will get reflections if using glossy display. Sometimes it's not that bad, but sometimes it's downright awful. So while antiglare vs. glossy might be partially a personal preference, if you have good eyesight it is completely worth it to get the hi-res.

14. lindstedt56 macrumors regular

For me the screen is one of the most important features on a laptop. I would take the 2010 version with a high res then the 2011 with a low res. Its a matter of personal opinion and what you use the laptop for.

15. Kendo macrumors 68000

Agreed. A much better investment.

16. JasonR, Jul 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2011

JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I'm in the same boat here...I don't know if I should get a Sandy Bridge Macbook Pro with standard res OR go with the 2010 Macbook Pro Hi Res without thunderbolt (does thunderbolt even matter at this point?).

Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

I also tend to sell my machines every year and upgrade. Keep that in mind. Thanks!

17. marshallbedsaul macrumors 6502a

marshallbedsaul

I have owned both and always go back to high res anti glar

18. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Thunderbolt was a new feature with the 2011 models

19. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

I know what thunderbolt is. My point was no one is sure if it will be adopted or used much.

I just want to know if I'm better off buying a 2010 MBP with hi res display, or the current base model. I have good eyes...but I'd also like to future proof. Just not 100% sure...

20. fat jez macrumors 68000

fat jez

Maybe I'm being overly pedantic or maybe it was a typo on your part, but you said you were thinking of going with the 2010 model with Thunderbolt. I was merely pointing out that Thunderbolt was new in the 2011 models.

21. JasonR macrumors 6502a

JasonR

Ah you're right...I didn't see my typo. Fixed it. Thanks!

22. Vudoo macrumors 6502a

Vudoo

I had the standard glossy and replaced it with the hi-res anti-glare and definitely prefer the hi-res anti-glare.

23. derickdub macrumors 6502

I agree with everyone else about scrapping the 2.3 GHz. You wouldn't notice the speed increase, and for $250 it's not worth it. To me at least. That money is better spent on an SSD or RAM upgrade.

As for the Hi-Res screen, it's really just preference. I prefer the Hi-Res because the extra screen space and I think everything looks better.

24. Tydog07 macrumors 6502

As everyone else has stated, go with the hi-res, you'll without doubt love it! Although I sprung for the glossy because I wanted the better colors, and it was an excellent decision, I see no problems with reflections. Unless you are someone who needs accurate colors, I'd spring for glossy!

25. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

maflynn,
    this is what I am referring too. I assume that over the next few years the current "High res" screens will be standard.