Hi Res vs. non hi res

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by teknikal90, Oct 27, 2011.

1. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

Hi all,

Was here a few weeks back about buying a refurb Macbook....
    The purchase didn't happen! As I was about to pull the trigger, Macbook Pro rumours came along lol.
    And now there's a speed bump, I think I'm finally ready.
    Few questions.

Hi Res vs. non Hi res?
    I just bought Battlefield 3 and will be playing that on it. I'm concerned that if I get the high res screen, the 6770m graphics card will choke, forcing me to lower the res (non native = ugly?)

2.4ghz vs. 2.5ghz?
    Concerned not by the clockspeed but by the 6mb vs. 8mb L3 cache.
    I will use this mac mainly for live on stage music use (Logic, Mainstage). Those are the two most demanding softwares I use, aside from the occasional BF3.

I would rather get one or the other. ie. if I get the high res, i won't get the CPU upgrade. If I get the CPU, I won't get the hi-res.

What would you guys recommend?

Thanks in advance!

2. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

If I bought a MacBook Pro tomorrow I would not hesitate to get the matte hi-res.

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I like the my 2.3GHz upgrade, but I honestly couldn't tell you if it really makes a difference. Especially now that the standard high-end configuration is 2.4GHz, I don't think you need the upgrade. What makes a difference was importing photos to a library on a my SSD compared to one on a HDD, so maybe save that $250 and get yourself a SSD (or a bigger one).

BF3 works on my 6750 at 1680x1050; just don't get greedy and keep the settings at auto.

The antiglare is a must for me and I imagine it would be important to you for stage use without glare from lights and whatnot. Anyways the only reason I have the 2.3GHz option is because the Apple Stores (retail) only carry the 2.3/antiglare display option together.

So my recommendation is (assuming you can only choose one), get the display upgrade.
    If you want an order of upgrades:
    1) Display;
    2) SSD;
    3) Memory;
    4) Convert optical drive to HDD;
    5) CPU

Obviously CPU must be chosen at time of purchase, so that's my way of saying only get it if you have already bought the others.

Happy buying!

4. Prodo123 macrumors 68020

Prodo123

Considering that the 2.3Ghz with 16GB 1600Mhz RAM got a 11623 on Geekbench, and the fact that my MBP gets 11000, the 2.4Ghz and 2.5Ghz will not have much of a performance boost as you might expect. Apple often offers a silly 0.1Ghz upgrade that people might want to spend ridiculous amounts of money on for little performance gains.

Don't get the CPU upgrade, but go for a glossy/antiglare Hi-res. The choice between glass and matte si up to you; it's your personal taste. I like glossy better, but many people prefer the matte.

5. Kendo macrumors 68000

If you ever have to compromise or list gaming as a concern for a MacBook Pro, this is not the notebook for you.

The CPU upgrade is throwing money away. In a few years when even entry level computers are more powerful than the 2011 MacBook Pro, that extra .1GHz (4%) won't do anything for you.

6. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

thanks all!

I think this will be my config:

2.4ghz
    4gb ram --> after market 8gb OWC ram
    750gb 7200rpm upgrade --> with SSD upgrade later down the road as 6gb/s SATA drives get more stable/reliable and cheaper
    hi-res upgrade - glossy (probs not a good idea to get glossy for stage use, but i like the look lol)

What kind of fps do you get on BF3 alphaod? If i down-res it to play at 1440x900 what sort of fps can I expect if i leave it on auto?

Thank you all!!! solved my dilemma in a day...

I just looked around the forums some more, most people swear by the hi-res displays, they must be good.

Thanks.

7. teknikal90 thread starter macrumors 68030

teknikal90

what do you mean compromise??