Hi : ) !!! - Water spill, help !!!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by igmolinav, Feb 6, 2015.

1. igmolinav macrumors 65816

Hi,

At was at work and I spilled some, but not much water
    on my mother's 13" MBP. The computer was fine after
    the spill. I qickly removed the water from the keyboard
    and turned the computer off. I waited an hour, placed
    it in its skin and went home. A day after in the morning,
    (so, yesterday), I tried to turn it on, but the computer
    did not respond to my pressing of the start botton. It is
    not charging either, as I press the little botton on the
    side of the computer to check the energy level. It is
    likely that I'll be taking it to an Apple authorized
    technician. Before I do that, is there something I could
    do? May be I can be of some help to the compter.

Thank you, kind regards,

igmolinav : ) !!!

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think you waited long enough, i.e., there was still liquid inside.

You generally should wait several days.

Give it more time, and hopefully it will come back to life, but turning it on with liquid still floating around in there may be the logic board is fried :(

3. JHUFrank macrumors 6502a

JHUFrank

And note the key phrase, "On my mother's macbook". Ugh, I am 50 years old and wouldn't want to face up to that.

4. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for your messages : ) !!!

I'll take it to an authorized repair
    center. Hopefully something can
    be done about it, and that it is not
    so expensive!

Kind regards,

5. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

You did the right things. Hopefully the Logic board is not damaged, if it is, very expansive to replace as its all soldered these days. Fingers crossed!

6. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

i wouldent even bother with the service center , they will tell you it needs an expensive repair.

almost all the macbook pro's and air's i buy from customers that are "water damaged" only need new keyboards and sometimes magsafe boards.

the keyboard acts as a fuse almost and shuts down the machines once liquid hits it, the only way the logic board usually gets damaged now a days is if there is alot of liquid or you got it into the vents.

keyboard is around 30-40$ , magsafe board is 40$ , if they logic board needs to be repaired (component replacement) it can run 150-200$

your choice.

7. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for all your messages : ) !!!

The other day I wrote a very long
    thank you-message from my iPhone
    and it couldn't get posted! It was on
    the same day most people had posted!

8. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for all your messages : ) !!!

The other day I wrote a very long
    thank you-message from my iPhone
    and it couldn't get posted! It was on
    the same day most people had posted!
    As it couldn't get posted, it got erased!

It is very recomforting news to read that
    something can be done about it!

You help me know in advance that the
    whole expensive logic board must not
    be changed! That perhaps it is only the
    keyboard or something minor.

Thank you again, I'll keep you all posted!

Kind regards,

igmolinav

Sent from my iPhone : ) !!!

9. arcite macrumors 6502a

arcite

Cairo, trapped in a pyramid with my iphone
    I'd be nice for Apple to design a water resistant keyboard like the old IBM thinkpads. :rolleyes:

10. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Yes, that would be amazing : ) !!!
    In the past, Apple took a step
    towards greater security by deve-
    loping the safe AC chords that now
    every notebook uses. That has
    already prevented me and many
    others of having two potential
    accidents.

Kind regards,

11. duervo, Feb 12, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2015

duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

FWIW, the Lenovo Thinkpads still have spill resistant keyboards. Even right up to the latest W540 sitting next to me on my desk right now. You can even see the little water channel openings on the bottom of the chassis, with the little water drop engraving next to it.

Not sure why people keep thinking that they aren't spill resistant anymore. Probably some rumor started by somebody that continues to spread for whatever reason. *shrug* Go figure.

OP maybe you should just buy your mom a new or used Lenovo Thinkpad T440p or something. A spill will still probably end up needing a keyboard replacement (~$100 for the part last time I checked), but that's a lot better than having to replace logic board, etc.

I also sympathize with you (or anyone in similar situation). I've come close to having water/liquid come into contact with my MBP's a couple times since 2008. The second time was the closest call, which caused me to go out and get one of these. Keeps the laptop elevated off the desk surface, away from the reach of stray liquids ... because accidents can and will happen ... maybe not caused by you, but maybe somebody else in the room, even if just for a few seconds. All it take is one wave of the hand "ooooh, I like that picture right there!" *thwack* (water everywhere) "oh my god! I'm so sorry!"

http://www.raindesigninc.com/mstand.html

12. caldy315 macrumors member

Care to elaborate or message me privately. I found one that has some water damage, and would like to repair it. Looking basically for your troubleshooting steps.

13. SirCarrington macrumors newbie

SirCarrington

I had a water damaged MBP come in yesterday. It refused to show any signs of life. I opened it up and the logic board looked all corroded to hell. After about half an hour with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush I was able to get it to boot. It works perfectly now.

14. MacModMachine macrumors 68020

MacModMachine

you got it , thats how i do alot of them now.

clean it up , alot of times they have been protected electrically by the keyboard and magsafe board/

----------

i would if i could figure out how , send me a message with your current diagnosis and ill see what i can do to help.

15. caldy315 macrumors member

Thanks for the help! My buddy has one and Best Buy told him it was toast. It's doing nothing for him now, so I figured he wouldn't care if I took it apart.

I will do. I think I'm supposed to get his computer this weekend. I'll shoot you a message if I have any questions or need some tips. Sounds like you have some experience in repairing.

16. Ian.C macrumors regular

MacModMachine is spot on....

macbook pro's and Airs are connected from the magsafe board to the trackpad then from the trackpad to the logic board...

for small amounts of liquids its important you power it off asap, and turn it upside down so any liquid is lying on the underside of the keyboard.

strip down as soon as possible and clean it thoroughly with isopropyl alcohol, leave it to dry for a few hours and put it back together.

You will need to replace the keyboard ans trackpad 9/10

17. caldy315 macrumors member

Just talked to my buddy and he estimated close to a full cup and it was focused right on the charger/charger port connection. He said it went out before he could do anything. I assume its a little more complicated, maybe in need of a new logic board?

18. jayro306 macrumors newbie

Questions

Hey guys, I have a late 2013 Macbook Pro. i had a beer spill on the keyboard Friday night. I took all the precautions i could. Everything is working fine, the computer powered up right away after i let it dry. A few of the keys were sticky but i waited a day and now the keys feel normal. I got really lucky i know. There is still a bit of a beer smell to the keyboard. Should i be concerned about the back part of the laptop where all the components are? should i take it in for a cleaning/just a check to see if its ok. Like i said everything is working proper. I'm worried about maybe some corrosion build up so should I take it in for a check? thanks

19. caldy315 macrumors member

Thanks. I've made my own thread regarding this issue not to clog up this one. It's located here.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1848677

20. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

21. igmolinav thread starter macrumors 65816

Hi,

Thank you for posting : ) !!!

Other comments are welcome
    as well !!!

Kind regards,

22. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Yeah it would be nice but you know Apple loves customers buying new MacBook Pro to replace water damaged MBP. Apple thinks a lot about $$$. :apple:

23. Tolubass macrumors newbie

Please help!!!

I am currently writing my final year thesis at the university and literally got 3 weeks so submit it!

My MacBook pro late 2011 (warranty ended 2 months ago) stopped working and I was charged €53 for diagnostics and was told at the apple shop my logic board is corroded from liquid spill... I was charged €953 to replace the board. I REALLY CANT EVEN AFFORD €50 for anything extra atm...

Please I need your help...do you think I can use the isopropyl alcohol as well sir?

Please can you guide me through it?

To what extent can the corrosion get for isopropyl cleansing not to work?

Thank you!!!

24. sn macrumors 6502

They made the MagSafe charger...