Hi when will the 2016 MacBook Pros be on the refurbished Apple site

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Hieveryone, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Hieveryone macrumors 68020

I might get one because of the wide color gamut

2. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

Probably as soon as they figure out what led to the returns in the first place.

On my 4th MacBook Pro replacement, all for hardware failures. AppleCare said engineering is handing out new ones versus replacing with refurbished models to be able to understand what's leading to hardware failure.

I imagine once that's done, Apple will start only giving out replacement refurbished models vs. brand new in-box models.

Once that's done, the excess should be offered for sale.

3. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

When was it it was released again? I'm guessing two more weeks if I remember release day right.

4. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68020

Wow that's not long at all
    --- Post Merged, Mar 6, 2017 ---
    Does anyone know when the ones with the next gen processors is coming out?

If it's only a month I might get that instead...

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Apple knows.
    All anyone here can do is guess.

6. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

My guess, September at the earliest.

7. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I still think Apple reconditions the batteries on all the returned 2016 MBPro models back to 0 cycles and re-packages them and re-sells them as brand new. I have no evidence but it's just what I feel. We are hearing of some posters returning up to 13 or 14 laptops so far plus all the others that are being returned, if they are not re-selling them....we should see a boat load of them on the refurbished site but I don't think we will see many at all. I still stick behind the idea that they are resetting them back to brand new and re-selling them as brand new. The consumer would never know it was sold to someone else.

8. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

This is massively illegal, and if it was found out would be a massive scandal that would hurt, not just in terms of paying for the court proceedings, but also in terms of all the bad press. First off, the amount of people returning them likely isn't as high as you think. This forum isn't representative of the population as a whole. Far from. And second, you may actually see quite a few when Apple opens the refurb store for the model. Regardless of whether they have the inventory or not, I'd imagine they'd wait a bit just to make them look more attractive.

9. MrGuder macrumors 68020

I could be absolutely wrong, I guess time will tell just how many we see. But when and if we see them in the refurb store still does not indicate how many were originally returned. There really is no clear message in writing from Apple about what happens to all the returned MBP, maybe Apple gives them away to schools or writes them off in other ways. If someone buys one and returns it within the 2 wks, we are really not sure exactly what Apple does with them. We are only assuming they all eventually show up in the refurb store when in reality we really don't know.

10. casperes1996 macrumors 65816

casperes1996

Correct. I would imagine some are also used for employee-discounted machines.

11. Network33 macrumors member

Network33

I too am waiting and checking everyday for the 2016 MacBook Pro's to become available on the Apple refurbished store.

Here's a link to a blog post on Refurb.me estimating when the 2016 Pro'a might be available:
    https://www.refurb.me/blog/2016/12/06/when-will-the-new-macbook-pro-be-refurbished/

I think they will be available before September, again just a guess I'm hoping for sooner.

And Yes it would be illegal for Apple to sell returned and refurbished items as New.

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think it all depends on how many returns they get, and how long it takes to go through its certification process. Plus they want enough inventory on hand to use for repair/replacements.

Translation, I have no idea, and its really difficult to answer that with any definitive accuracy :)

13. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

I can almost surten also say that they I'll use parts from the replacement units to repair units that are in repair centers.
    All replacements don't sell as refurb.

14. MrGuder macrumors 68020

That's true I forgot about replacement parts.

15. jtsang777 macrumors member

The non touch bar version is available for refurbished on apples refurbished store.

16. kelpi macrumors regular

kelpi

It actually just posted - check the front page of Macrumors.