Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Molnies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
I'm new to Final Cut Express, so maybe there's a very simple solution, I just haven't been able to find any...

I have a bunch of Hi8 tapes (PAL) from my parents that I was thinking about editing in FCE 3.5. To get them to the computer I hooked up the Hi8 camcorder to my DV camcorder - a Sony DCR-PC109E PAL.

So I have a RCA-cable -> A/V-cable and a S-Video from the Hi8 to the DV, and then a FireWire from the DV to the computer (24" iMac).

In FCE I have changed the setup to capture "Non controllable", when I capture I get the video without any problems but the audio just isn't there. I can see the audio levels changing but no sound coming out. I assumed this is because the Hi8 has 12-bit samples with a sampling rate of 32 kHz, and the DV camera has 16-bit and 48 kHz.

Is there anyway to change the audio rates so it capture it in 12-bit/32 kHz, or anyway to convert it to 16-bit/48 kHz? Thanks for any help...

-DH

macrumors 65816
Nov 28, 2006
Nashville Tennessee
It doesn't matter what sampling rate of the Hi8's source PCM audio is ... once you go out the analog outputs of the playback device, none of that matters anymore. When the analog audio is converted to digital by your DV camcorder, THAT is when sampling does mater; the sampling rate and bit depth of the DV camcorder's conversion should be set to match your FCP capture and Sequence settings, which in most cases would be 48khz, 16 bit.

Assuming it's set that way by default, the next thing I'd look for is how you're monitoring the audio output from FCE. The recommended way is to have an external TV monitor AND speakers connected - NOT the computer speakers. You can check the audio routing in FCP's preferences.

-DH

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
In FCE I have changed the setup to capture "Non controllable", when I capture I get the video without any problems but the audio just isn't there. I can see the audio levels changing but no sound coming out. I assumed this is because the Hi8 has 12-bit samples with a sampling rate of 32 kHz, and the DV camera has 16-bit and 48 kHz.

If you playback a clip and see the audio meters moving the audio is "there", it's just not coming out of your speakers (which are turned on w/the volume up right? :))
If you open up FCE, go to View->External Video and make sure it's set to "off."

Lethal

Molnies

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 7, 2006
Sweden
If you playback a clip and see the audio meters moving the audio is "there", it's just not coming out of your speakers (which are turned on w/the volume up right? :))
If you open up FCE, go to View->External Video and make sure it's set to "off."

Thanks! That worked perfectly.
Although it wasn't View->External Video->Off - it was under View->Video Out->Canvas Playback.

I currently have my Sennheiser headphones hooked up to the iMac, but I'm thinking about setting up a external TV with sound instead...
Anyways, thanks for the help :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.