Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Help.

I am trying to convert my old Hi8 tapes with family video (priceless).
I'm using a Sony Hi8 CCDTR81 and and Sony miniDV DCR-TRV33.

I'm getting generally no sound and noise/tearing at the bottom of the picture.
I suspect the tracking is off. If i fast forward, I can see picture info were the noise is when I place normally.

Anyone with recommendations on what I can do.

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
I'd clean the heads on both for starters. What kind of connections are you using? An earphone-style plug to a composite or S-video?

Sonicjay

macrumors 6502a
Jan 1, 2008
i've cleaned the heads.

The tape is damaged in parts.
It seems like a tracking issue.

Hmm.. well, if it plays in fast forward, just capture it in fast forward then slow the clip down in editing. (totally kidding, haha).

Are you using the MiniDV as a pass-through, or trying to record the Hi8 to MiniDV then capture MiniDV? Do you have any other newer Hi8 recordings to test the playback with to rule out a hardware issue? I not, maybe take the tape with you up to Best Buy or somewhere that stil has Hi8 cameras out, pop it in and see if it plays correctly? I'm just trying to think of troubleshooting steps, as i don't know of any way to adjust tracking on a camera like that.

Flynnstone

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Feb 25, 2003
Cold beer land
Haha, I pondered the fastforward method too, briefly.

I've tried pass-thru & to miniDV tape.

I'm thinking, perhaps the best solution is to find a local service that can adjust tracking. Can good Hi8 decks be rented?

Alucardx03

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2008
Haha, I pondered the fastforward method too, briefly.

I've tried pass-thru & to miniDV tape.

I'm thinking, perhaps the best solution is to find a local service that can adjust tracking. Can good Hi8 decks be rented?

In my experience, I've found it's difficult to find a Hi8 deck for rental. There are a few internet companies that rent decks, but I've never used them. Many times, especially with rental equipment, the heads have seen so much action that the quality suffers. Many of these sets have never had preventative maintenance done.

The other option is to contact local video production businesses. You may have a few locally that will rent equipment. If you get lucky, you may find one that rents Hi8 decks. Again, the quality is up in the air.

Personally, I've had my 30+ Hi8 tapes converted professionally. Before that, I captured them myself with my Canopus ADVC-300 and an older JVC Hi8 camcorder. Being somewhat of a "videophile," I was unable to see much of a difference between the professional and DIY option, which surprised me.

I would recommend you look on Craigslist for a cheap Hi8 camcorder in your area. If your tapes are of poor quality, I would look into the ADVC-300. While it can't do much for tracking problems and damaged tape, there are a number of noise and grain picture and color correction controls that can have a drastic impact on quality.

Also, you can look on eBay for old Hi8 decks. Some of the "pro" quality decks have some sort of auto-tracking, which may be helpful to you. However, these decks usually run $400-1500+.

Keep in mind though, if your tapes are heavily damaged, no amount of auto-tracking/tracking adjustment is going to help.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.