HI8 to DVD / video editing program

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by idea3, Oct 31, 2009.

1. idea3 macrumors newbie

Hi
    I am planning on converting my old HI8 tapes to DVDs.
    I know there are a few options. Can anybody suggest a simple solution?
    I know there is a software you can install on my Mac. How is it called? Where can I get it?

Please help me since I don't know much about it.

I have my HI8 camcorder which I am planning on using for transferring.
    Thanx for any help.

2. AVR2 macrumors 6502

If you just want to transfer your Hi8 tapes to DVD without editing or adding music/effects or creating custom menus, then just plug your Hi8 player into a standalone DVD recorder. That's the fastest method. No computer needed.

If you want to edit the footage and/or create custom menus, then you need to capture the video into your Mac and then use iMovie and iDVD, which you should already have unless you've got an old Mac from the time before they bundled the iLife suite.

Assuming you do have iMovie and iDVD, capturing the video into your Mac is the only potentially problematic part. The best way would be to use a Digital-8 camcorder, because that will plug directly into your Mac via Firewire and it will play your Hi8 tapes, automatically converting them into digital video.

If you don't have a Digital-8 camcorder and can't beg or borrow one, you'll need to buy some special hardware that will convert analogue video to DV.

3. idea3 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, I just wanna transfer my Hi8 tapes to DVD. What kind of DVD recorder?
    I assume the one I have on my Mac will not do.

Can you be more specific? I appreciate your response

Cheers,

4. jjkuhnle macrumors newbie

DVD recorder

Hi. Although your post is more than a week old, here´s my recommendation for your request:

Sony VRDMC5 DVDirect DVD Recorder.

I have this device and works perfectly for direct analog video recording into a DVD via RCA or Super Video cables. You can also record pictures from several types of memory cards. It is also easy to use.

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs...atalogId=10551&in_dim_search=&keyword=VRDVC30

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VRDMC5-D...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1258239138&sr=8-1

Hope this solved your question.

5. excommie macrumors regular

You could use eye TV, if you have it. Connect S-video out of the camcorder into eve TV S-video, connect sound, do a manual capture in Eye TV. Once you have the file, Eve TV can export directly to Toast, or you can manipulate the file and edit in IMovie, etc...

Also, if you don't have EyeTV, but you have a FW camcorder that supports "line-in", you could do the following:
    1) Hookup your Hi8 to your FW camcorder, use S video Line in on the FW camcorder
    2) Hookup your FW camcorder to your Mac using FW
    3) Basically your FW camcorder acts as a pass-through device
    4) You should be able to capture the video in iMovie