Hi8 Video Conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MaskedPhantom, Nov 3, 2008.

1. MaskedPhantom macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

Hope this resides in the correct forum-

I have a small collection of Hi8 tapes that I want either on DVD or straight to my computer. Does anyone know of any legit conversion services or a device that will allow me to convert the tapes straight to me computer?

I should add that I no longer have the camera.

Please advise.

2. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you want the raw video on a DVD, just get a standalone DVD recorder for about $79. It is the easiest and fastest way to do it.

If you want to edit the video on your computer before you put it on a DVD, get a cheap MiniDV camcorder on craigslist that supports passthrough, and load it up in iMovie.

3. MaskedPhantom thread starter macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

I should add that I no longer have the camera. It broke. Are either of these options still available to use without the camcorder?

And I do have a MiniDV camcorder, the Panasonic PV-GS500. Does this support "passthrough"?

4. MaskedPhantom thread starter macrumors regular

MaskedPhantom

5. bki122689 macrumors 6502

bki122689

you need something like this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sony-Hi8-Video-...ptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

thats expensive for hi8 deck. Look around on ebay and craigslist for Hi-8 deck. Also make sure it has a firewire port in the back. This way you can capture it to our computer.

Check with your friends and family if they still have a hi8 video camera and see it there is a way to connect to computer.

6. Pikemann Urge macrumors 6502