Hi8 video to DVD conversion

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by m1mulkey, Jun 28, 2010.

1. m1mulkey macrumors newbie

I have 40-50 Hi8 video format tapes that I want to convert to DVD's. Unfortunately, our Sony Video8 camera broke --- and I am not wanting to buy another, as we have moved to the newer mini-DVD camera. am looking for the "least expensive" way to convert these 8mm mini-cassette tapes to DVD using our iMac.

On a side-note, we purchased a nice box from costco (~$300) a year or so ago which did the VHS to DVD conversion with one step. anyone know of a similar box for the Hi8 tape format?? that would be our ideal solution!:)

2. huntercr macrumors 65816

There is no such box that would be inexpensive. Sorry this is not a simple thing.

I'd check ebay for a Sony Video8 camera with firewire ( sony calls this iLink ) output. The later "Digital 8" cameras had this.

Yes you can get other brands of 8mm camera, and it may work, fine, but its more likely to work on similar equipment to what you had.

try to make sure the camera comes with the iLink cable so you don't have something else to buy too.

Then you can use the camera to read the tapes and capture them to your iMac ( using iMovie's capture process ) and then burn with iDVD.

i don't know how much time you have and how picky you are, but you might consider contacting a video conversion service and at least get quotes on them doing this for you.

I hope this helps! Good luck!

3. m1mulkey thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi8 video to DVD conversion

thanks!
    amazing to me that there is not a box out to do this --- similar to the VHS-DVD version. seems like a business opportunity.

but I am wondering if a VCR Hi8 digital player is not a better option than the camera --- as I worry about the camera breaking after playing so many tapes...?
    wouldn't something like this be more reliable to import? and then still use the iMove capture process...

http://www.google.com/products/cata...rAFoKyiwSBwMDnDg&sa=title&ved=0CAcQ8wIwADgA#p

4. Keebler macrumors 68030

My business offers this service and this is a box I use. Works great. Been solid over the years. I have another one actually in the mail coming to me now.

buy it...you won't regret it.

5. joshuwack macrumors member

hi keebler. i sent you a PM about a month ago. just wondering if you ever got it? either way, could you just send me a PM letting me know? thank you sir.

6. WayneH1 macrumors member

Well, that exactly what you should do. I got a Sony DCR-TRV350 for just this purpose - to read my old 8mm tapes and output them to firewire for import into iMovie or FCP.

This particular camera was a "bridge" camera, able to read both analog and digital tapes, and able to digitize analog to digital right in the camera. I got mine on e-bay for ~$100. Works like a charm.

Just be careful to get any accessories you need included. Power adaptors seem more rare than cameras. Mine shipped with a new battery and charger but no AC adaptor. The battery lasts plenty longer than one long tape, so it's not too big a problem to recharge between tapes.