Hibernate Mode and Sleep image

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by blackwind, May 20, 2010.

1. blackwind macrumors regular

Hey guys
    My 2010 macbook pro took 20sec to sleep and also take awhile to wakeup.
    So I came accross a thread that saying the macbook intend to hibernate first before fall asleep. Plus Hibernate mode is draining out battery and paste a big sleep image on the HDD.

So by commanding: sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0 (disable the hibernating mode)
    Then disable the sleepimage written on the drive: sudo nvram "use-nvramrc?"=false

My question to people who use or done this before, Does this affect the Battery Calibration? I mean since hibernating mode is disable, will the computer drain the battery to completely shutdown?

I mean normally when u have 1% of battery the computer will tell u to save all ur works. 20sec bang, it turn off but into hibernating (save all ur work from RAM to HDD) then sleep until the computer completely dead. So our battery caliberating take place.

I know the new macbook pro dont call it Hibernate Mode, rather called SAFESLEEP. it kinda anoying and I dont need to save work when the battery fall to 1%. But i want to know, will "disabling hibernating-mode" affect the macbook to drain the battery when sleeping?

Cheers

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

It doesn't affect the behavior you're describing directly. It just means that when your computer goes to sleep the contents of RAM aren't saved to disk, so if you lose power completely (say the battery is removed or is somehow completely drained, although that shouldn't happen), the computer will not be able to restore your session. It would simply restart as if you'd shut it down completely.

It won't affect your battery life in the slightest, however. Battery calibration is handled by completely separate processes.

jW