Hibernate?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by isianto, Apr 26, 2007.

1. isianto macrumors regular

Dear all,
    First of all I'm newbie for MacOSX, I just bought macbook pro 15", it's .... (no word enough to describe it). I usually use windows. I have a couple of questions:
    1. Is there hibernate in macosx? if so, how do I activate it?
    2. From what I search on the google, sleep is the closest thing that close to hibernate. Is it save to travel on sleep mode?
    3. how to lock the desktop when I leave for a moment.
    Thanks and pardon my english.

2. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Sleep is the same thing as hibernate.

To get the screen lock on go the the Apple menu-system Preferences-user accounts. Then go to login options

3. gikku macrumors regular

gikku

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Not quite. Mac sleep is PC standby.

hibernate saves the PCs status to the HDD and really shuts down, sleep keeps everything in a low power state.

Recent Macs do offer a "safe sleep" mode which is more like hibernate which they will switch over to when the battery is running dry.

http://andrewescobar.com/archive/2005/11/11/how-to-safe-sleep-your-mac/

B

5. isianto thread starter macrumors regular

so does it means that I need to shutdown the macbook? Has anyone using safe sleep?

6. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

No, any recent portable Mac will already have Safe Sleep enabled. When you put it to sleep simply by closing the lid (or the menu or the keystrokes) it will automatically switch over to Safe Sleep (hibernate) if it thinks the battery is getting too far drained.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302477

B

7. isianto thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the reply.
    I just want to know, what is the usual practice? shutdown the macbook or put it to sleep and put it in the bag?
    also, is there any way to lock the screen? without putting it to sleep or log off?
    Thanks again

8. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

I usually just close my MacBook Pro and put it in my laptop bag so it's in sleep mode.

9. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Same for my iBook, just close the lid.

B

10. isianto thread starter macrumors regular

Is it safe to do that? since any software that using harddisk will surely wake up the computer? and how about harddisk itself? is it safe for it?
    Thanks

11. eluk macrumors 6502a

eluk

Use a hot corner to switch on Screensaver.

12. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

In sleep mode, nothing is running, the RAM is powered and the HDD is off and its heads are parked. Only ways to wake it up are to open the lid or to have an external USB KB/mouse to wake up and run in "clamshell" mode.

B

13. semaja2 macrumors 6502a

You can use UtilityLock if you want to lock the screen, one of my most recent utilities, still a few quirks that need fixing but most people never noticed them, also lets you lock the screen with cmd+L (or whatever you want just like in windows)

http://semaja2.net/utilitylockinfo

14. isianto thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks guys, it's really awesome. and based on the Balamw reply, I found out that buy using this command at shell, sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1, it will change sleep to safe sleep. And Samaja2 thanks, I'm downloding righ now.

15. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Minor addendum: a paired bluetooth device will also wake a sleeping Mac laptop in clamshell mode, but (unless something has changed recently) the laptop must be plugged in -- not running on battery power.

16. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

Regarding is it "safe" to just sleep the computer: Yes. Example: Airports. I usually turn the machine off for security checkpoints, but I've flown overseas with the laptop sleeping.

Pretty much, there is NO REASON to turn the machine off unless you're shipping it or something.

17. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

There is also an option in System Preferences -> Energy to turn this off, if one wishes.

Sleep really eats up very, very little battery life on a Mac. I personally don't miss hibernate that much. Maybe once or twice a year there are circumstances when I would prefer hibernate, but that's about it. To be honest, half the reason I loved Hibernate so much on my Thinkpad running Win2k was that success in waking from sleep was iffy, but hibernate was rock solid. That's clearly not an issue here. :)

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That must be for some of the more recent models, or did it appear in 10.4.9? I don't have that option on my PowerBook. The only "wake option" I see under the battery settings is "when modem detects a ring."

19. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Oops, I'm sorry. It's Sys Prefs -> Bluetooth -> Settings -> "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer." It's been there at least since early Panther for any Mac with Bluetooth. But it's just not where I said it was. :eek:

20. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Naughty naughty. ;)

I know about this setting, but it only works when the Mac is plugged in.

21. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Hehehe, no, what I meant was that, if you turn this off, even with the Mac plugged in, it still will not be accidentally woken by BT devices. :)