Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Dear all,
First of all I'm newbie for MacOSX, I just bought macbook pro 15", it's .... (no word enough to describe it). I usually use windows. I have a couple of questions:
1. Is there hibernate in macosx? if so, how do I activate it?
2. From what I search on the google, sleep is the closest thing that close to hibernate. Is it save to travel on sleep mode?
3. how to lock the desktop when I leave for a moment.
Thanks and pardon my english.

synth3tik

macrumors 68040
Oct 11, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
Sleep is the same thing as hibernate.

To get the screen lock on go the the Apple menu-system Preferences-user accounts. Then go to login options

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
so does it means that I need to shutdown the macbook? Has anyone using safe sleep?

No, any recent portable Mac will already have Safe Sleep enabled. When you put it to sleep simply by closing the lid (or the menu or the keystrokes) it will automatically switch over to Safe Sleep (hibernate) if it thinks the battery is getting too far drained.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=302477

B

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Thanks for the reply.
I just want to know, what is the usual practice? shutdown the macbook or put it to sleep and put it in the bag?
also, is there any way to lock the screen? without putting it to sleep or log off?
Thanks again

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Is it safe to do that? since any software that using harddisk will surely wake up the computer? and how about harddisk itself? is it safe for it?
Thanks

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
Is it safe to do that? since any software that using harddisk will surely wake up the computer? and how about harddisk itself? is it safe for it?
Thanks

In sleep mode, nothing is running, the RAM is powered and the HDD is off and its heads are parked. Only ways to wake it up are to open the lid or to have an external USB KB/mouse to wake up and run in "clamshell" mode.

B

isianto

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 12, 2007
Indonesia
Thanks guys, it's really awesome. and based on the Balamw reply, I found out that buy using this command at shell, sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 1, it will change sleep to safe sleep. And Samaja2 thanks, I'm downloding righ now.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
In sleep mode, nothing is running, the RAM is powered and the HDD is off and its heads are parked. Only ways to wake it up are to open the lid or to have an external USB KB/mouse to wake up and run in "clamshell" mode.

B

Minor addendum: a paired bluetooth device will also wake a sleeping Mac laptop in clamshell mode, but (unless something has changed recently) the laptop must be plugged in -- not running on battery power.

Cameront9

macrumors 6502a
Aug 6, 2006
Regarding is it "safe" to just sleep the computer: Yes. Example: Airports. I usually turn the machine off for security checkpoints, but I've flown overseas with the laptop sleeping.

Pretty much, there is NO REASON to turn the machine off unless you're shipping it or something.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Minor addendum: a paired bluetooth device will also wake a sleeping Mac laptop in clamshell mode, but (unless something has changed recently) the laptop must be plugged in -- not running on battery power.

There is also an option in System Preferences -> Energy to turn this off, if one wishes.

Sleep really eats up very, very little battery life on a Mac. I personally don't miss hibernate that much. Maybe once or twice a year there are circumstances when I would prefer hibernate, but that's about it. To be honest, half the reason I loved Hibernate so much on my Thinkpad running Win2k was that success in waking from sleep was iffy, but hibernate was rock solid. That's clearly not an issue here. :)

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
There is also an option in System Preferences -> Energy to turn this off, if one wishes.

That must be for some of the more recent models, or did it appear in 10.4.9? I don't have that option on my PowerBook. The only "wake option" I see under the battery settings is "when modem detects a ring."

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
That must be for some of the more recent models, or did it appear in 10.4.9? I don't have that option on my PowerBook. The only "wake option" I see under the battery settings is "when modem detects a ring."

Oops, I'm sorry. It's Sys Prefs -> Bluetooth -> Settings -> "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer." It's been there at least since early Panther for any Mac with Bluetooth. But it's just not where I said it was. :eek:

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
Oops, I'm sorry. It's Sys Prefs -> Bluetooth -> Settings -> "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer." It's been there at least since early Panther for any Mac with Bluetooth. But it's just not where I said it was. :eek:

Naughty naughty. ;)

I know about this setting, but it only works when the Mac is plugged in.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.