Hibernation in Mavericks

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by lukestroh, Jan 2, 2014.

1. lukestroh, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014

lukestroh macrumors newbie

My MacBook Pro, when charged for an extended period of time with the screen down, goes into hibernation, and has to restart when I open the screen or unplug the power source (you can hear the restart sound when unplugging it).
    Is this a new feature in Mavericks, or is there something wrong with my computer?

I have a MacBook Pro, purchased mid 2012, 8GB RAM which I installed around the time Mavericks came out (I don't think there is a problem with the RAM though).

Edit: I have noticed that when my external hard drive is plugged in, this does not occur.

Thanks!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You have something wrong. It sounds like your system is completely turning off and not just hibernating. You can try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if that turns up anything, but I think a visit to Apple is in the cards for you here. :(

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

4. lukestroh thread starter macrumors newbie

Power Nap is not the problem. And Weaselboy, I will run the hardware test, but keep in mind my computer runs just fine after it starts up.
    I don't think it is fully shutting down because it always opens up with the hibernation start up: https://discussions.apple.com/servlet/JiveServlet/showImage/2-23257546-305556/login+screen.jpg
    All of my applications are still open and even things like the same iTunes song is playing.