Hibernation issue possibly SSD related

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Dark Dragoon, Mar 16, 2011.

1. Dark Dragoon macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I've currently got a Kingston SSDNow V+100 96GB (This isn't a SandForce based drive) in my MBP's optical bay (2010, 17", 2.66GHz, 8GB RAM) and the stock 500GB hard drive in the hard drive bay. Currently the SSD has the OS and Apps on it, and my home directory is located on the hard drive.

I'm not actually sure whether hibernation worked before installing the SSD. I might have to test this sometime.

When I sleep my machine (hibernate mode 3) it appears to successfully write out the RAM to the sleepimage file and then sleeps as expected. However the times I drained the battery while it was sleeping it did not resume from the hibernation file, instead cleanly starting up. It did not show any errors and I don't think there was anything in the logs (I need to check this again).

So I used pmset to set hibernate mode to 25 (or mode 1, but in the man pages it says to use 25), this results in exactly the same behaviour as with mode 3, where it saves out to the sleepimage file, but then sleeps whereas on this mode it should turn off.

I have also been using hibernate mode 0, which causes it to sleep immediately and not write out the RAM to the sleepimage file, as expected.

I have reset the SMC and PRAM and it's a new install of OSX.

It doesn't seem to be a failure like other SSD's where on wake from hibernate it crashes and can't restore.

Does anyone have any idea why hibernate mode 1/25 is seemingly ignored, or have any other suggestions?

btw I do know that writing the sleep image to the SSD will cause extra wear.

2. NoisyCat macrumors newbie

I have the same issue on a MBP 5,4 with an Kingston V+100 128GB.
    I get kernel panics on hibernatemode 25. In this mode it saves the RAM to disk and power offs. It doesn't happen in hibernatemode 3, it saves te RAM to disk too but the RAM remains powered. hibernatemode 3 "becomes" 25 when there's no battery left on the machine.

3. Dark Dragoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

Thanks, I'd actually forgotten about this thread.

With my SSD I've not had any kernel panics at all, no matter the mode.

Although I didn't expect it to make a difference, when the SSD was placed in the hard drive bay rather than in the optibay, hibernation/safe sleep works perfectly with no changes needed.

4. fehhkk macrumors 6502a

fehhkk

When I had OS X lion on my optibay hard drive and I used it, my laptop wouldn't come out of sleep properly. So it's not because of the SSD being there, a harddrive might experience issues as well.

Now that I'm using Lion on my SSD on the main HDD bay, I have zero issues. I think whenever your main OS is running on the optical bay hard drive, you might experience those issues.

My suggestion is to always have your main boot drive on the HDD bay. Use your optibay for your data drive.

5. Dark Dragoon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dark Dragoon

I switched back to having my SSD in the optibay and HDD in the hard drive bay even though hibernation doesn't work for me in this configuration. I did this for the better rubber mounts (less vibration) and the sudden motion sensor for the hard drive.