Hibernation mode corrupts SSD and forces reformat

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thomasdr, Jul 27, 2010.

1. thomasdr macrumors newbie

Last month I removed my super drive from my MBP i7 and replaced it with an SSD using the New Modus caddy. This was done so I could place a 1TB Scorpio Blue in the HDD bay. Last night, I left my computer on, and I must have accidentally pulled out the power cord. When I tried to wake it, nothing happened, so I reattached the magsafe and, low and behold, OSX would not load. I restarted with the same result - the grey and black startup wheel spins continuously (not the rainbow beachball) and the OS wont load. In response I attached my external superdrive and ran disk utilities on the SSD drive, which contains the OS. Apparently, the drive is corrupt and cannot be repaired. Disk utilities displays a “B-tree” error and recommends that I reformat the drive after removing any files that I am able to.

To anyone out there that may be able to help, is there anyway that I can repair my SSD without reformatting? I thought about swapping my HDD from my old MBP for the Scorpio Blue drive and selecting it as the start up drive so I could try to transfer files, but its not a S-ATA connection. Would Disk Warrior or something similar be more effective at repairing the drive than Apple Disk Utility? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

3. thomasdr thread starter macrumors newbie

I will pick it up at the store tomorrow and give it a try, if there aren't anymore options. Thanks

4. thomasdr thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, I picked up Diskwarrior and it failed to boot as the startup disk. I thought it was because I was using an external superdrive, but it still failed when I reinstalled the superdrive in the optical bay and tried to boot from there. My guess is that it doesn't work with SSD or possibly OSX 6.4. Out of options, I ended up erasing and reinstalling the OS. Sucks.

5. davidlv macrumors 65816

Well, it's too late now, but you could have tried copying the DW application to an external HD drive and booting/running DW from there on the internal SSD. The DW DVD will not boot the latest MBPs, see the DW HP for details.
    I don't know the command to do it, but I think I saw somewhere that you can disable the hibernation function and use a "normal" sleep state. Have to search for that on Google or MRoogle. Sorry, I don't know more about that, or even if it will solve your issue.