Hibernation Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ReddestDream, Aug 22, 2010.

1. ReddestDream macrumors member

Hello,

I just joined, and I was hoping someone might be able to help me with a problem I've been having. :)

I recently purchased a refurbished Mid-2010 15" i7 Macbook Pro which I upgraded with 8 GB of RAM (OWC) and an OWC Mercury Extreme Pro SSD (240 GB; installed in main HDD bay).

Following a fresh MacOSX installation on the SSD (no test prior to drive replacement), I found that I could not restore from hibernation (following battery calibration). The progress bar permanently freezes at the 1/4 or 1/2 mark. Subsequent tests using SmartSleep (manually set to Hibernate Only) indicated that this problem occurs any time the computer hibernates. Upon reboot following the freeze, there is a crash report (the same every time) part of which I've pasted below:

I've reset the SMC, which had no effect. I've also tried closing any background processes and disabling any self-installed kernal extensions (MacFUSE and the like). Since I also had this problem before I installed these programs, I didn't think they were the real problem.

I then thought it might be an issue with the SSD's firmware or a bug in MacOSX (as Windows hibernates fine). I've found a few reports of similar problems on newer Macbook Pros with replacement HDDs/SSDs.

If anyone has any idea how to resolve this problem, please let me know. My current workaround is to disable hibernation altogether using SmartSleep (Sleep Only).

Thanks! ;)

2. Mografi macrumors newbie

I have the identical problem. 15" 2010 macbook pro with owc ssd. sleep works, but hibernate never restores, gets about 1/4 through and hangs, or sometimes goes to the grey screen of death.

I've tried changing the sleep settings, resetting the smc/pram/whatever. Seems like a fishy issue.

Have you tried using a non-ssd drive? I think that's my next step since I can't seem to find anything else that works.

from what i can tell, it may be an issue specific to the owc drive (there seem to be a lot of ssd problems with sleep/hibernate)

3. bingo! macrumors newbie

Hibernation problems too! New Macbook 13" with OCZ SSD

same issue ..... sleep ok.... but recovering from deep hibernation bad... kernel panic balck screen with " must restart message" after freezing on hibernation progress bar about half way.

especially if battery gets real low just before hibernation : (((

4. stevenchanin macrumors newbie

Had this problem with a new OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240

I just got a new OWC Mercury Extreme Pro 240 (arrived on 10/1/10). According to OWC it has the most current firmware.

Unfortunately, it has the same problem that everyone else is describing. When coming out of hibernation, it gets 3 to 5 bars into the wake up process and then kernel panics.

I just chatted with OWC and they are giving me an RMA to return it for a new one.

5. Mografi macrumors newbie

I'm happy to report that deep sleep now works, as well as regular sleep!

So after a few returns, I got a tech from OWC to figure out the problem. He downgraded my drive's firmware to the previous version.

He also told me that a universal firmware updater should be available by the next firmware release, which would address this issue and others, and people with mac-only set ups would be able to update the firmware themselves.

So, my advice, if you use deep sleep like i do, send the drive back and get them to downgrade the firmware for you. They paid shipping both ways, so it was mostly just the pain of waiting for the drive to come home.

6. ReddestDream thread starter macrumors member

I might end up sending the drive back to OWC . . . :( It'll have to wait until I get back from school though.
    After updating the drive's firmware (under Windows 7; Updater here), I still have the same problem.
    Not that I use hibernation that much. I like the fast wake-up time and greater amount of free space (8GB!) Sleep Only gives me, but I feel like there's something wrong when an advertised feature (MacOSX compatibility) doesn't work right.

Thanks for your help! ;)

7. michaellam macrumors newbie

I'm having this problem too

I'm having similar problem too. Machine cannot sleep (using sleep timer) but it can be slept with closing lid. Also, hibernation is half-way during restore as well (on a OWC Mercury SSD)

Almost the same configuration as you are, Core i5 Mid 2010 Macbook Pro with 8GB ram.

Not sure if OWC is very busy or not, created a technical support ticket, waited for 2 days already and still hasn't got a response from them.

How long have you wait for OWC's feedback?

8. tjb1 macrumors 68000

So im guessing this problem is still prevelant...I was hoping to get one of these for christmas. Anyway to fix the problem without sending it back?

9. preppy macrumors member

preppy

For the record, this isn't just an OWC problem. I have a OCZ Vertex2 180gb and have the same issues. Everything is flawless and perfect...except for the hibernation issue. I have the most recent firmware on my ssd, but I also heard that if you downgrade the firmware on the OCZ, it may (read: MAY, not WILL) fix the problem.

10. michaellam macrumors newbie

Don't really mind to test downgrading

Don't really mind to test downgrading. However I've no idea which firmware version to downgrade to and there is no way to download it.

11. Cappuser macrumors newbie

which firmware number?

@Mografi - could you let me know what firmware you had and what firmware they downgraded you to?

I am running on my 120GB SSD - 340A13F0 and on my
    240GB - 343A13F0

Both have the hibernate crashing issue you had.

But when talking to OWC about this today (just had a 27" imac upgraded with 2 internal SS'd + 1 esata port) - they are saying that they are not aware of recommending downgrades - but they claim that they are aware of the hibernation issue and are working on it. (In my case there are also problems with regular sleep mode on my Imac - where it wakes up after 2 seconds of being put to sleep with the error being " kernel *The USB device USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge
    (Port 2 of Hub at 0xfa100000) may have caused a wake by being"

this MAY be because I had them also add a second internal SSD where they add their own cable to get it installed)

Either way - I cant do neither sleep nor hibernate and this is tremendously frustrating - with no ETA on fix currently.

Will keep this thread updated as I get info.

12. lechuck75 macrumors newbie

Same problem here

I've the same problem here:

When returning from Hibernate computer crashes.
    Everything else work perfectly and the SSD is very fast.
    I'm writing from Italy so I don't think I'll send the SSD back to OWC.
    The SSD is 120 GB Revision: 320A13F0
    I have a MacBook Pro Mid 2009 and I replaced the dvd drive with the HD removed from my macBook ( 320 GB HD )

13. Cappuser macrumors newbie

Ciao Lechuck!:)

I would email OWC and ask them what firmware you can switch back to - to fix the issue. I spoke to them today and they said that they are working on a new firmware update that will address all the hibernate problems - so you should be able to update it yourself without sending the drive back.

Best of luck.

14. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

This is NOT NOT NOT just a OWC issue ;)

It seems to be a sandforce issue with hibernation in OSX.

This is effecting many types of SSD's. The two most you hear about are OWC and OCZ as those are the two most popular SSD's for mac owners.

I have a OWC myself, and just have it set to "sleep never". I shut the lid when I need to put the computer to sleep.

15. Cappuser macrumors newbie

Just got an update from OWC - they did an excellent and fast job fixing my imac sleep issue. Which was luckily unrelated to the hibernate issue - and had to do with a new cable they were using.

So sleep works now.

Hibernate yeah is a sandforce issue in OSX and hopefully there will be firmware fixes soon for all. OWC is saying they are working hard to get one out asap. Cant wait - they are otherwise just such awesome drives!

16. millerb7 macrumors 6502a

The OSX firmware tool is slated for Q1 2011 per OWC reps and website.

Hopefully January sometime ;)

Meanwhile, set hibernate to never ;)

17. barmann macrumors 6502

Just for the record, any sleep is freezing my MBP early '08 , with both OWC and Veretx 2 SSds .

I can only hope the upcoming firmware patches will not just work for unybodies ...