Hidden Dock issues, Launchpad Stutter, and iTunes issues?

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by jsf8x, Oct 23, 2013.

1. jsf8x macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Here a few problems that I've had with Mavericks since installing yesterday.

Hidden dock issues - I have my dock hidden on the button for screen real-estate. Unfortunately, it is very slow to come back when I position my mouse at the bottom of the screen on any full screen application, and often doesn't come up at all. This is not a problem at all when I'm not in a fullscreen app.

Launchpad stutter - the animation to go to Launchpad stutters every time its done, both coming in and out of launchpad. This was never a problem before.

iTunes - iTunes has been crashing nonstop since I've installed Mavericks.

Has anybody else been having any of these issues?

I'm running OS X v. 10.9 on a late 2011 13' MBP, 2.8Ghz i7 with 8 GB of memory.

2. patsyh macrumors newbie

I can't access the iTunes store.
    Also can't sign in to Amazon.com, HSN.com, or Ebay.com--I can access the main sites but not sign in--message says 'can't connect to server'. Frustrating.

3. appleloverpl macrumors newbie

I have Launchapd stutter:(

Hello, I have Launchapd stutter too:( I have macbook pro retina. I don't like to hide dock so I don't know if I have this problem and I didn't check the iTunes yet.

----------

I have iTunes store connection problem also!

4. Max108 macrumors member

• Hidden Dock Issues: Check - sometimes it reveals itself easily; sometimes i have to persist at the bottom of the screen for longer than I'd like to.
    • Launchpad Stutter: Check - Added to which, it won't recognise any keypresses so can't filter by partial app-name like I used to be able to do.
    • iTunes: Dunno - I don't use iTunes much. It has stayed open for the last couple of minutes since I've been typing though.

5. WiLLGT09 macrumors regular

WiLLGT09

Dock issues - Do a sort of double-tap mouse gesture when in a full-screen Space: you sort of have to bring the mouse cursor down to the edge, then swipe or move the mouse in the same direction again, like you were trying to move the mouse off the screen. This behavior was also in Mountain Lion.

iTunes - no crashes for me. Have you updated iTunes since installing? After installed 10.9, I checked for updates, and there was a new iTunes version "with support for Mavericks."

6. iOrbit macrumors 6502a

have you guys tried testing launchpad with the launchpad app from the dock? does it still stutter?

if not, its because the gesture has been altered.

my usual hand gesture of activating launchpad on ML and Lion was easier since i only had to 'half do' the gesture to 'activate' the launchpad.

on Mavericks, you can now control the speed of the launchpad animation, if you do not do the gesture fully and slightly slower, it will stutter.

7. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

This isn't it. In fact, the stutter is more pronounced when I do it quicker.

iTunes is behaving a bit better. Still having problems with the others I mentioned.

8. trevor.7 macrumors newbie

Dock problem (and others) annoying

I usually don't update to new versions until the initial problems have been resolved with updates. Yesterday I decided to take the plunge on my iMac and now seriously regret it. This morning there was no way to get to my dock at all so I had to reboot to be able to do anything. I have also found that most times I want to do anything in System Preferences it tells me it has to close and reopen before it will respond. What's that about? Last but not least, the promised performance improvements simply haven't materialised for me. Most of my apps now take longer to open and everything seems slower to me. In fact I have yet to find a single benefit from the new release and will postpone upgrading my Macbook Pro's until I really have to.

9. guitarman777 macrumors regular

guitarman777

Just a guess, but the close & open in System Prefs issue might have to do with the presence of 3rd-party-developed preference items in your preference pane that are 32-bit vs. 64-bit. I had a similar issue when I got Mountain Lion, I ended up having to set System Prefs to open in 32-bit mode all the time until the 3rd-party preference files got updated. Don't know if this will help you or not, but just a thought.

10. trevor.7 macrumors newbie

That rings a bell actually. Thanks, I'll check it out. I remember something I have that wouldn't run under 64-bit and I had to change how SP opened . . .

11. ijhim macrumors newbie

format your mac, i did that and now it works like a charm. (last choice)

12. trouble747 macrumors 6502

I definitely have this issue...

13. noire anqa, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2013

noire anqa macrumors regular

The following commands shorten the dock delay, helpful for those who autohide their docks.
    On 10.9 the delay is so long that i find it hard to get my dock to show reliably.

Run each of the following lines, one at a time, in the Terminal:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-delay -float 0
    defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-time-modifier -float 0.7
    killall Dock

You can return your settings to original by running the following one at a time:
    Code:
    defaults delete com.apple.dock autohide-delay
    defaults delete autohide-time-modifier
    killall Dock

14. jsf8x thread starter macrumors 6502

jsf8x

Has this worked for anybody?

15. noire anqa macrumors regular

If anyone knows how to disable that annoying "feature" where one has to move their mouse to the bottom of their screen and then move the cursor down once more (as though driving it off the screen) to bring up the dock in fullscreen apps, that would be really helpful.

i thought the following command controlled that but it seems to have had no effect:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.dock autohide-fullscreen-delayed -bool false; killall Dock

16. boblatterman macrumors newbie

Maverics Issues - ebay

I have not been able to log onto ebay.com at all since I "upgraded" to Maverics - I tried flushing the DNS and that had no affect. :mad:

17. CEmajr macrumors 601

on iTunes now at the top where it normally shows the name of the song playing/artist/album and time played/remaining it just shows the Apple logo. Only time I can get it to display the other information now is by going into full screen mode. Anyone else experience this?

18. Slender- macrumors newbie

Slender-

Re: Getting the dock to shift, I was having the same issue and came here to see what the resolution was. As I was reading I tried using both trackpad on the laptop and Logitech trackball in various futile attempts to get the damned thing to show up on an opposite monitor...and then I realized that if I aim at the bottom center of the screen and give it a slight wiggle, voila, it works consistently.

That said, it's still a minor PITA. Any movement anywhere at the bottom of a given screen should trigger it.

19. respectabilia macrumors regular

Slowly

The trick I've found is to move your mouse cursor slowly to the bottom of the screen and pull down 'below' the screen as in Mountain Lion, and then the dock appears in full screen apps. If you do it at normal speed, it doesn't catch this for some reason.

Of course, this shouldn't be the case. Hoping for a bug fix soon.