Hidden file on desktop

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thesk1llerz, May 30, 2010.

1. thesk1llerz macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Today when I booted up make 2010 MBP(See signature if details matter) I noticed icon on my Desktop named ".DS_Store" and when I opened it with textedit it was a bunch of random characters. When I move it to my trash and click "Empty" it just re-apperas on my desktop. I am new to mac and would like to know if I'm doing something wrong or if there is a way to permanently delete this file.
    Thank you for any help. :)

~Thes1llerz
    :apple:

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

3. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Thank you,
    I just googled it ".DS_Store" and realized what it is. I was creating a plug in to access my hidden files using "Automator" but i haven't used/finished it yet. Can anyone tell me how to remove it from my desktop????

~Thesk1llerz

4. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Did you read any of what I just posted? Even if you remove it, OS X will create a new one. You cannot permanently remove a .DS_Store file without having a new one created.

5. thesk1llerz thread starter macrumors member

thesk1llerz

Sorry, Let me rephrase what I meant, I wanted to know how to remove it from my desktop, without deleting it from my computer.

~Thesk1llerz

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder​