Hidden files not showing

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by dakotaspurs, Feb 23, 2012.

1. dakotaspurs, Feb 23, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012

dakotaspurs macrumors member

Hi guys,

I need to play a slideshow on my SONY Bravia TV, so I have added all the photos I need on to a USB disc and have selected it to play on the TV, but it's coming up with loads of hidden files.

Here's a pic:
    [​IMG]

Back in OS X 7.3 (which I have on my Mac), when I use the Terminal commands to show all hidden files, none of these files show up!

These are the commands I have tried:

defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES

sudo defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder

Does anyone know how I can find these files on the Mac and delete them so that my slideshow will work?

----------------------------

Bit of an update ... I have just tried TinkerTool as well and this does the same. It shows the .DS hidden file, but none of the image hidden files.

2. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

Did you try to relaunch the finder?

You often need to, in order for the settings to take effect for that application.

3. dakotaspurs thread starter macrumors member

Yes I have relaunched the Finder each time I tried, that's how the .DS files became visible, but it does not show the invisible image files that come up on the TV.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To show hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE
    killall Finder​
    To hide hidden files in Finder, enter the following two commands into a Terminal window (press enter after each line):
    defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles FALSE
    killall Finder​
    To locate hidden files without using Terminal commands, perform a search in Finder, then add to the search criteria like this:
    ScreenCap 2.PNG

5. dakotaspurs thread starter macrumors member

Thanks GGJ,

But they are not working either, none of those files are appearing.

I have found a work around.

I imported the photos in to iPhoto, then exported them again directly to a folder on the USB disc I am using. This new folder doesn't have any of the hidden files showing that the original folder did and the slideshow works fine.

Very strange.