Hidden files taking up spaces

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by thanhhadinh, Aug 7, 2015.

1. thanhhadinh macrumors newbie

thanhhadinh

Hello,

I have been using my mac for 8 months and currently, I only have about 20GB free to use. I don't keep much files in the computer, mainly just photos and music. I have 15GB of photos and 5GB of songs in my itunes. My mac capacity is 120GB originally and now 55GB have been shown as taken by others. I believe my computer have been saving hidden files, if so, how do I find them and safely delete them?

Best

2. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

I would be interested to know this too, my MacBook shows up tons of space as "other". Do you have a Time Capsule or any sort of backup system? Because I have a feeling that my Mac might be saving Time Machine backups locally.

Attached Files:

3. Mjcarlin907 macrumors newbie

4. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

55GB of emails?

5. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Click Finder, on top of screen, click Go, then hold Option key and select the Library folder.
    - Delete all files in Caches folder, which most people have full of crap.
    - Also, emails have attachments that could be large.

What is 'other'?

6. thanhhadinh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanhhadinh

I don't use time saver but I do know email is taking quite a bit of space. Although I did choose to not automatically save email attachment and delete email after certain time. However, it' can not be all email. Please help

7. thanhhadinh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanhhadinh

I have located my Caches folder. Can I just delete it? The whole folder right into the bin? I'm a little scare of touching the system files as I don't know what they do.

8. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Hmm I got rid of the caches and that helped a bit, but there is still a ton of Other space. I have moved all my media to a network drive so I can't figure out what it is...

Attached Files:

9. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The worst that can happen with caches (as far as I know) is that they might slow down your system until they refill, if the stuff in there is used by the applications that you use.

10. thanhhadinh thread starter macrumors newbie

thanhhadinh

Deleted, but I only have 1.5GB of caches. Do you have any idea what I can do next?

11. mrsir2009, Aug 8, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2015

mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Ok bro, so I've figured it out for me. I downloaded this application and found that all the space was being taken up by my Windows VM, my Ubuntu VM and the frikin Bitcoin blockchain. Problem is that when I try to delete the Ubuntu files or the blockchain files Finder comes up with an error message reading "this operation cannot be completed because backup items cannot be modified". Anyone know how I can override this and force the files to delete?

For you I'd download the application I linked to so you can see what the biggest files are on your Mac that are taking up all the space.

EDIT: I've found that I can delete those files using the terminal, but they are actually located in a backup directory. That stuff is on my time capsule so I don't know why it's on my MacBook's hard drive as well, but I'm hoping that if I fill up my drive the backups will automatically delete themselves.

12. Taz Mangus macrumors 68040

Taz Mangus

See if this helps:
    • Open System Preferences->Time Machine
    • Turn off Time Machine
    • Turn on Time Machine
    Now check if the space has been freed up.