Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
NH
I don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the square in the middle of the home button, looks a lot like the built in isight cameras on the imac, macbook, and macbook pro... Am I looking to hard or could there possibly be a camera under there? :)

Attachments

• homebutton.jpg
    homebutton.jpg
    1.4 KB · Views: 930

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I see no reason as to why Apple would be redundant to include an additional camera hidden within the Home button when they already have a camera on the iPhone.

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
So, even though I highly doubt we're going to suddenly find out about a hidden isight....I decided to do a little comparison between what is claimed to be an isight look-a-like in the home button.

Using the scale photos on Apples site and the dimensions given, I determined the size of the square with rounded edges in the home button to be precisely 3/16"......the exact same size and shape of the builtin isight on the MBP im using. :eek:

Very odd coincidence.... if it is in fact just a coincidence. Go for it :apple:

rdrr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 20, 2003
NH
Using the scale photos on Apples site and the dimensions given, I determined the size of the square with rounded edges in the home button to be precisely 3/16"......the exact same size and shape of the builtin isight on the MBP im using. :eek:

Very odd coincidence.... if it is in fact just a coincidence. Go for it :apple:

Crap now I have to go make a new tin foil hat... Damn these thoughts. :D

TenaciousPZ

macrumors regular
Jan 17, 2007
Crap now I have to go make a new tin foil hat... Damn these thoughts. :D

Another interesting note... all of the cases I've seen developed for the iPhone (not the suitcase kind, mind u) have all left the home button completely uncovered.

This is not what they usually do with solid buttons, ie: iSkins for iPod, cover the entire click wheel because its just touch sensitive, nothing optical about it.

wongulous

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2002
Believe it or not, most 3G phones come with two cameras. One is for taking photos, and is high resolution, and the other is for videoconferencing.

If not now, this will eventually happen.

oxymoron2007

macrumors member
Jun 9, 2007
If there is a camera under there, it would explain why they have NEVER demo'd the CAMERA function on the iPhone. Maybe when you tap the camera app it asks which camera to use. I doubt that the second camera would be for video conferencing because EDGE is too slow, but it would work for Self-Portrait mode like photobooth. most camera phones have a small mirror next to the lens or allow for the use of an external lcd as a view finder (on flip phones). Since the iPhone has niether, a SUPER-SECRET camera under there would be awesome! And now that I mention it Photo Booth effects on the iPhone would rock.

neven

macrumors 6502a
Oct 10, 2006
Portland, OR
I wouldn't be surprised if there were some camera features we haven't seen yet, but... seriously, this theory makes no sense.

A camera inside the button you'll be pressing the most? On the bottom of the device? On the button you'd likely be pressing during the video conference you'd use it for?

Aniej

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2006
while the smudging would be a huge problem, the similarities are very very interesting and this is a great great catch on your part OP. If it comes true or doesn't, the similarities and reality that lots of newer phones have a second camera to face the user for video conferencing are enough of a basis to have warranted the thread. well done!

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
Does anyone remember what the primary function of this device is?

It's a phone.

That's the mic. They wouldn't put an iSight where it's always be looking up the user's nose.

cmschmidt

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007

It's a phone.

That's the mic.

it's not the mic. the mic is under the left 'speaker grill' on the bottom of the phone. i'm sure it's not a camera though

Photography

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007

It's a phone.

That's the mic. They wouldn't put an iSight where it's always be looking up the user's nose.

As cmschmidt indicated, the microphone on the iPhone is located under the left speaker grill. That is the Home button for the iPhone, and that is its primary and sole function.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Definitely not a camera. Worst possible place for a front-facing camera, since it will get smudged ALL THE TIME.

If anywhere, in with the speaker up top would make the most sense. (Although I imagine since videoconferencing would be a 'video' app, you'd do it in landscape mode, so the camera would make sense to be along the 'top' in landscape mode, which would be along the right side in normal portrait mode.

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
My bad. Unlike so many, I've not spent a lot of time looking at the iPhone. :eek: I'll look when I can afford one, or when the Rev Bs come out

Yup, it's not the mic.

But it's not an iSight.

It might incorporate an IR sensor, which would mean it's not a button, per se, but a sensor, and it might be part of the face-proximity sensing apparatus.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.