Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iOS developer @conradev revealed on Twitter that he had been able to enable a hidden "Panorama" mode in iOS 5. The setting can reportedly be enabled by setting 'EnableFirebreak' to YES in com.apple.mobileslideshow.plist. iOS developer @chpwn has already submitted an app to Cydia to enable the panorama mode for Jailbroken iPhones.

Clearly Apple had been testing the Panorama mode as a possible feature for iOS 5, but for whatever reason it didn't make the cut into the final release. The user interface shows that a user can capture individual photos from left to right and the software will stitch it together.

Apple did introduce a number of other new features to iOS 5's camera app, including grid lines, pinch to zoom gestures, volume button shutter and editing features.

Article Link: Hidden iOS 5 Panorama Mode Revealed

Last edited by a moderator:

solarguy17

macrumors 6502a
Sep 10, 2007
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I wonder if this was supposed to be a big updates for a 5.x release.

cshearer

macrumors regular
Aug 1, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Do want.

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I think that if siri is released for the i4 and this becomes popular, both will be released in a software update. Just IMO

isoMorpheus

Jul 29, 2007
What? They've gone as far as mislabeling it Firebreak and someone still managed to be curious enough to toggle it? Pretty amazing discovery I'd have to say.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
Cool design, Apple is trying to stay ahead of the curve on software now that the phones sport a nice camera.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
download Photosynth. It's free, and will keep you at bay until the final release of this feature.
It's great except that the exported photos are of super low resolution suitable for nothing but viewing on a tiny screen...

japanime

macrumors 68030
Feb 27, 2006
Japan
I read the headline and the first two paragraphs of this story and my eyes and brain tricked me into thinking it said "Paranormal Mode!" It wasn't until it said "stitch them together" that I realized it was "Panorama Mode."

LOL at myself right now. :D

(Though how cool would that be — an iPhone camera that could capture paranormal activity!)

Feltzem

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Not liking the UI for it (the big plain button saying 'Panorama'. Looks a bit Android-ish :O

RedReplicant

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Not liking the UI for it (the big plain button saying 'Panorama'. Looks a bit Android-ish :O

There is a reason it didn't make the final cut, expecting it to be polished is weird.

starvingartist8

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2011

I agree. Very non Apple like indeed.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
This would be a great feature to include. But the solution to beat is this app, in my view:
http://appshopper.com/photography/360-panorama

You don’t have to snap individual photos at all, nor even go in a predictable circle: you just aim the camera to “paint” around you in any direction/order you want, even up and down. The 3D grid on the screen fills with scenery as you do, and when you feel you’ve gotten all the imagery you want, you stop.

Its failings are in the UI department, though: it crowds the screen when you wish it were full-screen, and although you can view in landscape, the controls remain portrait. Still, it’s easy and impressive, and the technology is the fastest/best stitching solution I’ve seen!

(Plus there are unavoidable problems: all panorama solutions suffer from some glitchiness for nearby objects, unless you use a precisely-set tripod that rotates your phone around the center of the image sensor plane. No solving this by software—a camera can’t take an image from a different point in space than the one where it actually is. So you just have to shoot medium-to-distant scenery, or develop your skills! I like to lean back slightly, hold the phone over my right toe, and pivot around that toe. Also, people/movement in the scene come our weird in panoramas. Maybe Apple decided the experience was too inconsistent, and couldn’t be good enough for a standard feature.)

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
I am looking forward to this. Until it is enabled (hopefully tomorrow), then I won't know why it was pulled at the last minute. Maybe it was held back to make whatever "security loopholes" 5.1 covers seem small in comparison?

well one this is for sure and that is Apple better release this asap or else android will now that they have another thing to copy :p

Oh please. iOS5 notification drawer anyone?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.