hidden (missing) directories on Mac HD when viewed from Bootcamp

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fergusjk, Aug 23, 2010.

1. fergusjk macrumors member

Hi,

I have the following unusual issue.

I have a MBP that is dual boot thanks to Bootcamp. SL on one partition and XP on the other. :D

I have a directory on my mac drive that contains 81 sub-directories. Actually it is my iTunes media folder so each sub-directory represents a different artist.

When I boot into XP and navigate to the iTunes media folder in the Macintosh HD drive only 79 of the folders shows up! The two folders that are missing are not at the beginning or end, nor are they together. It just seems to be two random folders that explorer is not showing.
    If i do a 'dir' command in dos, again only 79 folders get listed - the same two folders are missing. :mad:

However if I manually type in the name of one of the missing folders into the explorer address bar then it shows me the correct sub-directories. i.e. the albums (folders) of the 'missing' artists. So explorer knows these folders are there, it is just not showing them for some reason. :confused:

I did not create these 81 directories, iTunes did when I imported my music collection. I've checked them and they are definitely not hidden. Besides I done 'tools', 'options' and checked 'show hidden files and folders' just in case, but to no avail.

Does anyone know why two seemingly random folders on the mac drive would not show up in explorer? :confused:

Thanks.

2. Grannyville7989 macrumors 6502a

Grannyville7989

Set the control panel to show hidden files and folders and see if you can view them? The would appear with a transparent folder icon if they've been set to hidden.

3. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

4. fergusjk thread starter macrumors member

I didn't realise you had to update Bootcamp from the Windows partition :rolleyes: I thought 'Software Update' running on the Mac side would have taken care of any Bootcamp updates but apparently not.

So I updated from version 3.0 to version 3.1 and I can now see all 81 sub-directories :D
    So the latest drivers (now over 6 months old) seems to have corrected the missing directories anomaly :D

Thanks for your help.