hidden or duplicate photos?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by HoosierFan, Oct 19, 2014.

1. HoosierFan macrumors newbie

My wife's phone is running out of space, and I am investigating it. I noticed that when I connect it to iTunes it shows that she has 1500+ photos taking 3.7G, but when I look on the phone it only show 800+ photos (but still shows taking up 3.7G)

I downloaded iExlporer and it shows three different folders under photos. DCIM has around 1500 pictures, as does Camera Roll, there is a folder with numbers for a name that has about 800, but only since August 2012.

Are these duplicates, taking up extra space on the phone?

2. Gmcube macrumors regular

Careful what you wish for. there's no going back sometimes,

3. HoosierFan thread starter macrumors newbie

Huh? What are you trying to say? I am just trying to clear up space.

I checked on my phone and it does not have the extra folder. Would I be safe deleting the extra folder through iExplorer?

4. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

I would backup all the photos to a computer before attempting to delete folders with somethign in it

5. TN20 macrumors newbie

When you have the phone plugged into the computer, is there any yellow space in the usage bar in iTunes? Iphones have a weird bug that sometimes causes space to be taken up on your phone when nothing is really taking it up. Best way to figure it out is plug it into the computer and look to see if there is any yellow other usage for the GB used. I once had 8 and had no idea why. Nobody really knows why it happens either. But usually just back everything up, then reset EVERYTHING in the phone, plug it back in and restore from the backup. Should clear that out if you have it.

6. Alimar macrumors 6502a

Alimar

On my iPhone, in 'About' it lists 5100+ photos... When I look at the camera roll, it lists 2800+. If I add all the other photo folders, it doesn't add up... unless I include the photos in 'iCloud' (shared folders, not iCloud Drive). Beats me!?!