Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

un1ty

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
I posted on the tips thread about some PhotoBooth effects I discovered inside Address Book. I don't remember them being there for Tiger. Some of these effects aren't even in PhotoBooth itself. You have to add a picture to a contact, then click on the swirly button for the effects.

So I'm wondering if someone can figure out how to copy these AddressBook effects into PhotoBooth!

Here's some screenshots of the effects:

Attachments

• Picture 104.png
    Picture 104.png
    158.7 KB · Views: 221
  • Picture 105.png
    Picture 105.png
    136.4 KB · Views: 155
  • Picture 106.png
    Picture 106.png
    153.1 KB · Views: 122

unity

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
Green Bay, WI
Damn, there are TONS off effects, including Hologram.

Great tip, have NOT seen this one (unlike the "blue screen of death" threads, lol).

Xcolored

macrumors member
Oct 31, 2007
Nice find, that is very cool! I've got no idea how to insert them into photobooth, however, I don't think some of those effects would be possible to "live feed" (such as trace).

Zack

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
I can get those to work

This is lallenlowe, creator of Holotrue, and Upside down. I could get those to work in photobooth, and even iChat, but it'll be a TON of work, LONG hours. I may or may not do it. It depends on how many people request it I guess

lallenlowe

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
Not sure what else might need doing, but apple apps use quartz composer files for these effects and I'd imagine that address book and photobooth have a folder full of .qtz files inside their app packages. It might be as simple as copying the files from one folder to another, but it might need the apps modifying to recognise them. I'll have a look tonight perhaps if i have time.

lallenlowe

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2007
same format, different compostion

yes they are all quartz, but to get iChat/Photobooth to access them correctly is different

psonice

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2005
yes they are all quartz, but to get iChat/Photobooth to access them correctly is different

Yeap. Just had a look at photobooth, it seems it just has the one (relevant at least) .qtz file for effects, which has hooks to bring in the others. I guess you'd need to edit one of the other application files to bring in the other qtz effects, pass the right parameters etc. Not worth the effort for me, I just like playing with these things and I can do that with quartz composer ;D

Djmx

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2007
That's easy! if it's qrtz just installed it in the Libary file and it sohuld work. I haven't tried it yet. there is a forum on here that someone made custom made ones and they're are custom made. Just a thought.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.