Hidden photos in iPhoto

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Luis Ortega, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Luis Ortega macrumors 6502a

I worked on an image stored in an event folder in iPhoto and saved as a newly named jpg file and also as a psd file back to the same event folder, but when I open iPhoto and look through the contents of the event folder, I can't see either of these files.

I see all of the original files in the event folder, just not the ones I saved as after editing in Photoshop.

I can search for them in finder and find them OK and also open them again in Photoshop using the recent files option but I can't see them in the iPhoto event folder when I am in iPhoto.

Can anyone please tell me how to make these photos appear visible in iPhoto?

Thanks a lot for any advice.

2. McGiord, Feb 29, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

Just drag them from the Finder window to iPhoto, it must show them in iPhoto.
    ________
    Ford SAV specifications

3. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

But according to the saved as path when I use save as in Photoshop, they are already being saved in the same event folder in iPhoto.

They don't show up in Finder as files- there is only the iPhoto library file in Finder/Pictures. I am forced to do a search to locate them in Finder.

This makes no sense. I thought that iPhoto was a great organizer for photos. Why doesn't it show files edited in Photoshop?

4. jdavtz macrumors 6502a

iPhoto is not a "folder browser". It won't automatically detect if you've put new/modified files into its iPhoto pics database structure.

You need to do your editing in PS, save the file somewhere (desktop, or whatever), then drag it into iPhoto so that it can update its database file.

5. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks, I understand now.

6. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

The thing you need to remember is that if you are using Iphoto 08 that you should not use the finder to browse within the Iphoto file structure.

This was changed so that the Iphoto library would not get damaged.

If you are going to manipulate an image I suggest you export or save the file from Iphoto to somewhere else, then edit it and save it, then drag it back into your Iphoto application.

7. Luis Ortega thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks.
    Are you saying that I should not use Photoshop to open an image that is in iPhoto?
    It's possible to use file/open in Photoshop and navigate to the correct folders inside iPhoto to open a file. Should I avoid this approach?

8. johny5 macrumors 6502a

johny5

Most definately!

If you look when your in Finder, Iphoto is actually one file now however you can still open this file up to show all your photo library.

Without a doubt if you value your photos, do not mess with them within the finder structure. As I put above export the photo, play with it, save it and then if you want the modified photo back in Iphoto then just drag it back to the Iphoto app or Iphoto Icon.

Oh, and take backups aswell :)

9. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

There is a setting in iPhoto, I believe (I can't check now, as I removed it from my computer to make way for aperture) where you can tell it to open an image in an external editor.

So in preferences find that preference and set it as photoshop.

then click on the image and go to open in external editor.

and then edit it the way you'd like in photoshop.

then save the image, you shouldn't have to navigate anywhere, as iPhoto already has a place it wants you to save. and I believe you can also choose what file format you want the photo exported to photoshop with.

10. jeffseaver macrumors newbie

11. jeffseaver macrumors newbie

iphoto external editing

tuffluffjimmy is right - I've been messing with iPhoto libraries as digital asset managers for a long time, and it can be done, but takes a fair bit of massaging.

iPhoto will save files that have been modified or edited in any way within it's own internal file structure and won't sync those up with external files in other folders.

If iPhoto prefs are set to NOT import files into the library, one ends up with two sets of folders, each with some of the images, but neither one complete.

This is - believe it or not - the way I prefer it. From Photoshop, I duplicate open files, close the originals, and re-save the edited versions to an outside folder, and when I'm done with a bunch of editing, I'll sync the two up by re-importing into iPhoto events, and merging the events back into one folder.

The posters who mentioned not deleting or moving files inside the iPhoto library file are dead right - it can result in very unpleasant things. However, one can copy an edited image FROM inside an iPhoto library file to an outside folder without damaging the iPhoto library file. Control-click iPhoto library file > Show Package Contents > Modified > Year of File Creation (most likely 2008), then navigate to the file, then Option-click and drag it out of there to copy to the Desktop or wherever.

Multiple iPhoto library files are a fantastic way to go, since iPhoto becomes insane to navigate when one gets up into dozens of events, or 500+ images (that's just my opinion).

Just hold down the Option and Command keys when launching Photo, wait a bit, and check off the boxes for what you want done (I usually just check all of them, and go have a sandwich).

I use iPhoto Library Manager (shareware) to sync up particular albums from one Library to another.

I use Chronosync to make incremental backups of these libraries from one drive to another (the Finder will back up the files, too - but it will do so by replacing the entire library file in the target drive - not much fun if you have a 1GB+ library file.

Another good move is to occasionally force iPhoto to rebuild its database, thumbnails, etc.

I've got over 10,000 images stored in about twenty different iPhoto libraries for different web clients. I've reached the point where continuing with iPhoto and this cumbersome system is too much, and unfortunately I just can't get along with Adobe's Bridge - so, I'm migrating everything over to Lightroom and will give that a try. Aperture was the other choice, and for a number of reasons I decided to go all-Adobe.

Happy hunting.

12. mtbdudex macrumors 68000

mtbdudex

Guys and gals;

Am I living dangerous with my iPhoto and Photoshop Elements method?
    (latest rev for both, waiting for PE 6)

Usually I use iPhoto for simple red-eye/other, and if needed more work I'll just drag/drop the icons from iPhoto to the PE icon, work on them in PE, save (w/o changing the save path).

98% of the time I see the changes in iPhoto immediately, if not I quit and re-open and see the changes. Very rarely if that does not work I rebuild iPhoto upon opening and everything is "flushed clean" so to speak and I see all changes.

I read this thread am now I'm worried that I may lose data/etc.
    My method has worked on 100's pictures, so far.