Hidden Processor System Preference

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by macfanboy, Jun 6, 2009.

1. macfanboy macrumors 6502a

I was searching my Energy Saver preference pane in spotlight cause i was lazy to open the application with the mouse, and a Processor .prefpane was given as one result. I clicked on it and it asked if I wanted to install it. The pane allows you to control how many CPU's you want to use if you have more than one installed.

PS. i searched 'power' and it came up. i found that odd

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Makosuke macrumors 603

That's part of the Developer Tools package. If you install the dev tools that gets turned on as part of it. I seem to remember it being popular a while ago for allowing you to turn off "Nap" mode on some G4s (or was it G5s?), which would quiet some power supply noise on those systems. Interesting that it shows up in Spotlight in a stock install, though; does on my system, too.

If you're not a developer, of course, it's not useful for much other than slowing your computer down.

4. zephead macrumors 68000

zephead

I imagine this would be used for trading off power for more battery life. It's a configurable option in OnyX, too; that's how I first found out about it.

5. neonblue2 macrumors 6502a

If you like it then be sure to reinstall it every major Mac OS X update. For some reason it disappears from System Preferences whenever a big update is installed.

To do this just navigate to where you installed it (/Users/~/Library/PreferencePanes or /Library/PreferencePanes), delete it, and then reinstall it from where you found it.

6. captainhowdy macrumors newbie

It doesn't work on my Mac Pro 2009 :(

It doesn't say the name of the processor and all CPUs Core and Bus Freq are 0

Anybody knows what's going on?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

On a 2009 Mac Pro, the Bus Freq will obviously be 0 because there is no "front side bus" anymore. As for the CPU speed being reported as 0 also, that could be because your Xcode version is outdated.