Hidden space taking up 260gb.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by zumieznoskate, Oct 5, 2012.

1. zumieznoskate, Oct 5, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2012

zumieznoskate macrumors newbie

Aug 6, 2007
    In the past day something has taken up 260GB of space on my hard drive. I used daisy disk to find what it was and initially it just said it was "hidden space" then I found out that it was macintosh HD/.mobilebackups/ but i can access that folder to clean it out. the reason this bothers me is that those 260gb accumulated over the corse of a few hours. In the morning I had 400gb available and by the afternoon I had 200gb. So why is this happening and how can I clean it up.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
  3. Weaselboy Moderator

Staff Member

Jan 23, 2005
    That is Time Machine local backups. You can just ignore it and if you need the space OS X will shrink the space used my local backups on its own. If it is bothering you , you can turn Time Machine off then back on and the space will be zeroed out.

Turning local backups off can be a bad idea. It creates these backups when you are away from a Time Machine destination so if you accidentally delete a file you can get it back from the local backup. It does no harm to leave it on.
  4. jjames1000000 macrumors newbie

Nov 19, 2012
  5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

May 16, 2008
    If you're wondering what "Other" category in the Lion/ML storage tab is about, this may help explain:
    For space issues not explained by the above, there are a few things you can try, some of which may or may not apply:
    Here are a few resolutions found by others with the same question:
    Freeing up space in Mac OS X

How OS X and iOS report storage capacity
  6. throAU macrumors 601

Feb 13, 2012
    Perth, Western Australia
    FYI, even though the space is "consumed" it will be re-claimed by the OS if needed - and as a result does not show up when you do get info on your hard drive.
    i.e., if you have a 500gb drive with 150gb used and 260gb of time machine backups, you could then copy 300gb to the drive and it would work - the time machine data would be automatically wiped.

My advice: just ignore it. You get the benefit of your otherwise unused space being able to get you out of the poo if you destroy/damage/overwrite/lose a file between time machine backups to external storage.