Hidden Space:

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by liamwood, Jan 4, 2014.

1. liamwood macrumors newbie

Im trying to clear up a heap of unused space on my Macbook Pro 15''. While i thought it was pretty much as clean as possible, at the time being, i had a look in the "Storage" tab in "About", and to see that i have apparently got just under 80gb of video. I found this to be a bit strange, as i remove any video data within a week of receiving it and putting it on a hard rive, and I'm just wondering "where would this used video data be?"
    Because the only place that i know of that has video data is iMovie and thats under 2gb..

Any solutions would be much appreciated,
    thank you.

Attached Files:

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Download and use OmniDiskSweeper. It will provide a sorted list of what's consuming your space.

Could the video data be iTunes movies/shows?

The storage tab is a nice visual image of your hard drive (or SSD) but the lack of granularity mitigates its usefulness which is why I recommend you use Omnidisksweeper, its free and provides you with exactly what's on your drive - sorted by size, i.e., largest files/folders first.

3. liamwood thread starter macrumors newbie

I just downloaded that program and letting it do its thing. But i do, with no problem say that isn't any thing within my iTunes other than music.

Attached Files:

4. liamwood thread starter macrumors newbie

This is what the program came up with, tell me where to go from here,
    thank you.

Attached Files:

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Your Music folder is iTunes and it contains 143gb of storage. Within Omnidisksweeper if you click on the Music folder, it will display the sub folders (you can increase the width of the window to see more panes).

Once you navigate low enough to see some large files you can then determine if you want to remove them. One thing I'd highly recommend before you delete anything make sure you have a backup. I've seen too many threads asking how to undelete an folder or file.

You can repeat that process for your picture folder and any other folder that is consuming large quantities of space.

I'd caution you to avoid touching your Library folder or any root folders - leave them be. :)

6. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

While perhaps only accounting for a little over half of the 80 G it looks like you might have music Videos stored in the music Library as well as videos stored in your Iphoto library.

7. liamwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, within that iTunes sub folder, it does have these excess data type of thing. But scanning through it is just music that hasn't properly been sent to the trash from when i first began using Mac which is actually around 20-30gb of data, but that data is actually visible and easy to clarify as it says in the iTunes app itself. As it stands the library is 99gb, but all that comes under Music. And then another 13gb of that apparent amount used is apps for the iPhone (141.1gb Total for iTunes Media).
    So i've easily acknowledged that it isn't there, and i am confident of that. If it isn't in iPhoto, where else would it be?

8. leman macrumors 604

Using the 'All My Files' feature of Finder, you can easily locate all the video files on your computer (or at least, the files OS X thinks are video). I think this is the best way to find the culprit.

9. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

That screen uses the Spotlight index for the data shown. Sometimes the Spotlight index is corrupt and it causes bad numbers to show there.

Run the command below in Terminal to reindex Spotlight. After the reindex is done, check again and see what it says.

Code:
    sudo mdutil -E /